Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mav100

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
"because quite frankly, why should I punish myself by keeping kids that I don't want to be around near me after school?"

Because it's your job. That's what you get paid for.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]jameshan2k[/nom]Corporal punishment has no place in a classroom. The teachers are there to teach & parents are here to discipline. I have two boys in school & they know that if they act up the teacher is going to call or email me. They fear my wrath more than any teacher's. If a teacher ever spanks my child a lawsuit is the least of their concerns.[/citation]

You're part of the problem.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]seboj[/nom]Like I said, I'd sue. This time, I put the tag for you thick ones.[/citation]

LOL or maybe I won't put the tags.

< sarcasm >

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
The teacher had no authority here to call the police. The student was disrupting class, not putting anyone in harms way or participating in illegal activity. And now the student has this misdemeanor on her permanent record. Should she have lied to police? No. But the police shouldn't of been there in the first place.

Even more so, its easy to understand why she hid the phone. At 14 she wouldn't have any legal understanding beyond the rudimentry: for all she knew when the police showed up, it was illegal to have a phone. Hence, she was basically pushed into believing either "hide the phone" or "go to jail."

In essence, she is a minor, and any lawyer would get the school district and police to bow to his whim, should the parents seek one on them.

sedakai

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
that cop is lucky it wasnt me because he would be sued and so would the school.... by the way ide like to point out i mentioned the fact that you can lie to police like 5 hrs ago =) ( i know my rights for a reason lol)

G

Some Fox news journalists refused to lie to the American public in a newspiece about the dangers of Monsanto hormones in cows milk, and were fired. They sued Fox, at which point the court ruled that Fox news has no legal obligation to tell the truth. School rule abouts cellphones are not laws, is lying to the police about legal activities illegal? The police are legally allowed to lie to civilians in pretty much every situation that isn't actually in a courtroom. Does anybody have a problem with the double standard of who may lie to whom in this country?

mrbluray

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]mav100[/nom]"because quite frankly, why should I punish myself by keeping kids that I don't want to be around near me after school?"Because it's your job. That's what you get paid for.[/citation]

Actually, it's not. Nowhere in our CBA does it cover keeping students after school for detention.

x11nt4

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
I totally agree with Leibniz and comments like it. Assuming this story is true, and this was just her first time for arguing with the teacher about her cell phone and texting, I think the natual first step would be to march her big butt to the principles office and call her parents and talk about it with them first. It is not the first time I have heard of strange things in schools. Calling the police should be a last resort only. I hope it WAS a last resort, because in todays school system, punishment of any kind does not happen. Police should not be used for this kind of thing. Kids don't get spanked anymore because it is "pysical abuse" -BS . Corporal Punishment would be a good deterrent, but parents need to have a strong firm hand at home, and the teacher needs to have the support of the parents and school when having to deal with punishment. Kids know they can get away with stuff.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well,umm the headline does what its supposed to..let it go. ANYWAY, some of you are neutral and some are scary on where they stand. School is a joke..nothing in school represents "freedom" its a camp.

A place where your churned and melted to mix with the boiling pot known as Amerika society. Just to clarify, I loved elementary but after that I always tried to figure out WHY I was forced to attend what inherently was a camp so my soul could be crushed because I thought differently. AHH well, as for the article no this whole thing is crap. Leave her alone sometimes they just don't CARE about whats going on. You CANNOT regulate MORALITY or self-respect that is a self learned position. Seriously..lighten up and SCREW police(mafia).

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
########################################
Newsflash!

Lying to a police officer, no matter the circumstances (sworn or not), is illegal in the US.I can't belive that many of you don't know this law. I was in loss prevention and saw people arrested for this all the time. Are you guys seriously posting here without checking this fact?

I will say that the teacher is an idiot. Since the teacher was responsible for the child, she probably should have informed her that she did not need to answer the police's questions.

If this minor was such a huge issue, like some posters have suggested, expelling her from school would have been one consideration. Let her enjoy going to a school at where she doesn't have any friends. Also, do not allow her to ride the bus so her parents will have to exert some effort in her life.

Also, most kids of the age of 14 are in highschool (to the one that said wait for her to be in highschool like the one that was mentioned in the article where the incident happened).

sedakai

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
ummm i dont know what your smoking but unless you under oath you can say you are Amish and dont know what a cell phone is as long as your not UNDER OATH

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]sedakai[/nom]ummm i dont know what your smoking but unless you under oath you can say you are Amish and dont know what a cell phone is as long as your not UNDER OATH[/citation]

I see our school system has failed you.

" It is better to not say anything than to lie. Lying to a police officer can be an additional charge of obstructing which, in Wisconsin, is a misdemeanor with a maximum of a $10,000 fine and/or 9 months in jail."

http://www.pdlawoffice.com/practice.nxg

Owned! Saying otherwise, like you have here, until you are blue in the face will not make it so.

G

Purposely misleading headline. Great job, you got me to read this piece of crap. I recommend starting all of your story titles with a women putting something in her butt.

G

Seriously, if the girl wants to miss out on her education, that's her problem. If she wants to text, the teacher should just send her outside and not care a bit. Calling the police, though? What is this? Do we really need to persuade the police to baby us? Whatever happened to the good ole' gun slingin' days where we could spank our children, paddle belligerent students, and duel out on the lawn?

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]christophero1973[/nom]How about simply BAN or BLOCK ($900 device) cell phone usage at school like CANADA, FRANCE, GERMANY or ENGLAND. There is a HUGE problem when the school counselors are NOT called in, but the police are (?). Was she disrespectful, YES. Was ANY CRIME COMMITTED BERFORE the police were called? NO! NO PROPERTY WAS STOLEN, NO THREAT WAS MADE, AND NO PERSON WAS STRUCK OR INJURED. Now she will be persecuted daily by her peers, have a police record, and be fearful of raising her hand in class. Congratulations on making ANOTHER MAL-ADJUSTED CHILD(!) who will: look the other way when she sees a crime committed, over-react and believe it's normal behavior(like you), never trust but cower to authority instead of fighting for her own beliefs and needs. Way to teach. Thanks ALOT for WASTING MY MONEY and another student’s future![/citation]

lol?

Im way older than 14, but if I was one of the students in the class room, I just gonna get and and slap the shit outa her. Nice and hard. That should teach her something.

Kids these days ... Thanks to our ridiculously stupid law makers, even parents couldn't touch them. not even yell, cuz if u "scared" them, they call cops on you, you go jail bye bye.

for me, I dont care, if anybody I see disrepect me, I beat the shit outa them, cuz what I found is that, this is "ALWAYS" the most effective wawy to teach someone a lesson. I might get beat up? try me, I aint that big guy, but years of "real life" training helps. and Im only 28. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.