Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
This is a parental and teacher problem. The girl should have been told that if the phone was not put away that detention would be handed out. If she continued after that the principal is brought in. If she still refuses she is suspended from school and her parents contacted to come and take the girl from the premises. If the parents refuse then the police can get involved. This is the turn of the liberals and the fear of discipline is gone. The fall of the western civilization.

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
she was arrested for "disorderly conduct" aka lying, hiding phone, etc.

And it is pretty funny, but it also tells you now and than someone just need a good rodney kinging.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
im going to go home and discuss with my boy that if the police want to ask him questions that i need to be there... keep your damn mouth shut.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I think everyone is missing something...

Why did the teacher call the police instead of a school administrator? What happened to going to the principal's office?

I don't think this teacher used a proper chain of command to deal with the situation.

mrbluray

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Story sounds fake. I'm a teacher and yes, kids texting in class is a problem. It sounds fake because no teacher would ever call the police for this. We really don't have that ability to do that while in class. In most cases, when a student openly refuses to hand over his/her cellphone, you pull that student out of class and ask again and if they continue to refuse, you send them to admin. (Let the VP take care of it).

G

[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]I think everyone is missing something...Why did the teacher call the police instead of a school administrator? What happened to going to the principal's office?I don't think this teacher used a proper chain of command to deal with the situation.[/citation]

I think everyone is missing something more important...14 year olds shouldn't have cell phones and they shouldn't be allowed until highschool ;) Which stresses the fact that parents are stupid, especially dads who give cell phones to their 14 year old daughters.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Calling the police is ridiculous at best. That's going too far. However, the girl was wrong for texting in class. She should have suspended without wasting the police's time.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Calling the pollice for texting. Nice one America, you're doing so well handling your children.
Now you just need to fill her up with pills for her attention disorder.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Seriously though, my primary school teacher in Taiwan used to whip un-cooperative student everyday with a wooden stick /boom.[/citation]

"Un-cooperative" includes failing to achieve certain level of scores in midterm exams, self-defense against bullies or simply forget about your hair cut. Corporal punishment in those good old days was completely psychopathic, and, yet, I've occasionally heard about bad students who joined triads beating those teachers gang style after school.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Its a good thing it wasn't an Iphone, that thing has a bug where it sends pictures of your privates to people you don't know (i dont know if they reported that story here on Toms, but if they didnt, they should! it was a hoot)!

Anywho, the teacher is clearly a moron...why waste a police officers time on something this little? it just shows how incompetent the teacher was.

mav100

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
What laws were broken here? The police completely overstepped their bounds.

Even if lying to the police was a crime (which it's not unless it's a sworn statement), no court would find that a 14 year old would understand their constitutional right against self-incrimination, as they are a minor, so anything she did or did not say would end up getting thrown out if she has a good lawyer. If course, as shown by OJ a few years back, the amount of justice you can get in the country is equal to the amount of money you have to spend on legal fees...

This teacher and the police who responded did nothing but waste taxpayer money. They should be disciplined by their superiors for their stupidity.

I don't agree with what the girl did - but the teacher should have handled it with detention, suspension, a call to her parents, or a combination of those things.

mrbluray

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Uh, just so you know, teachers rarely ever use their suspension powers. That's more of an admin decision. Detention isn't really used at the secondary level anymore, since we only see them for 75 minutes a day and it's too difficult to follow up on kids who skip detention.

G

she is a CHILD!!!
You are all insane!!
a teacher calling the POLICE to handle a child that is TEXTING?!?!
pardon my language but WTF????
what happened to the "principals office"?? or a phone call to the parents???

and they still suspend from school! lol!! "you have to NOT go to school for a whole week!!!" -- oh man!! what will the poor kid do for a WHOLE WEEK without school??? all alone with Wii... the HORROR!!! lol

and if you think about it -- the poor child is denied education just because the teachers at her school are impotent and cant handle the kids!
and the system reacts as it always did -- instead of replacing an incompetent teacher they punish the child just because she dosent have a union behind her back.

bottom line -- this is a disgrace for education and an example of how rotten the establishment is.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
How is what the cops did even legal? You have the right to remain silent. The cops can arrest you and detain you for 24 hours, but you do not have to tell them shit. We are not living in Soviet era Russia are we? On top of that why call the cops, when you can simply ask the student to go to the dean's/principle's office or at least step out of the classroom. Maybe the article does not tell the whole story, but this seems bizarre. If the student resists leaving the classroom, since the teachers are not allowed to touch students by law, then I can understand why the cops were called and that is the only reason I could possibly think of for calling the cops on a student. Otherwise, that is one dumb teacher.

mav100

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Whether or not it is a teacher or an administrator issuing a suspension is irrelevant to my statement. The point is a suspension would have been more appropriate.

As far as detention - it's still used with abundance at my kids school. However, as teachers get more and more lazy, like the one in this story, the less they will be willing to stay at work that extra hour to ensure that the child serves their punishment. As it is, I know a few teachers and they all feel like they should be at the school 10 minutes before the opening bell, and run out the door at the same time as the kids, making for a 5 1/2 hour workday taking into account half an hour for lunch...

ooo

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Corporal punishment? Are you serious ,i woulndt let any1 to touch me kids in anyway, thats responsability from the parents and must be do it in a right way otherwise i dont want a future wacko with a gun in some kind of diehard revenge. If any1 try something with my kids no matter what i will destroy him and his/her family, if you touch my boys and touch yours, no1 has the right to decide waht is good for your kids then the parents, but if a child is calling for help because is bleeding or has wounds i personally go to the house of the f...er and kick his/her ass several times and then to jail with them, abusive is not the answer , who ever is insane is the person who attacks not who defends, the problem is the system and the limitations in it, what you think you live in a fair world not well try to get it better dont destroy physically neither psychological your descending, thats stupid cuz ur demolishing your kids probabilities of survive and happiness. Tech him/her to love and she will love teach them respect and then they will be like you nothing more. Yeah fight against any system is sign of intelligence cuz any1 who tries to survive have to find a way to bends rules and innovative to get better chances os survival, school is not fai, live is not fair, lets try other way for her/his to adapt better in a system like a private teacher or else... peace...
Police=go with criminals or real criminals, did she have a gun no.. dont bother then...

mrbluray

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I rarely use detentions anymore for a few reasons, none of which involve laziness. It's not a question of staying after school. I'm often at the school for 2-3 hours after the school day ends, doing student council, or multcultural club stuff, or coaching, or even doing prep and photocopying for the next week.

I don't use detentions anymore just because it's too difficult to follow up on skippers and because quite frankly, why should I punish myself by keeping kids that I don't want to be around near me after school?

uanz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I used to work for a high school and there is a disciplanory office that would have taken of the girl and the police should have not been involved. I figure that the teacher has had problem with the girl and decided to call the police instead. If that would have been my child I would rather receive a call from the principals office than the police. It's a simple disobedient problem that the girl had and has been escalated to inamaginable proportions to a point to give the girl a misdemeanor. I also believe the police have exaggerated the situation, what child doesn't lie to a grown up, just because your a policeman/woman doesn't make you excempt you. If this is my child I would agree that she shouldn't have been texting and obeying the teacher, but for the teacher to call the police, the police to arrest the child and set as bail for the child is ridiculous.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I usally dont suggest this but her parents should sue the school and the police. This is a huge overreaction to some bratty teen texting. The teacher should have sent her to the office not call the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.