Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is one of the most absurd threads I have ever seen. Neither myself, nor most likely anyone posting was present at the event. The more I read, the more I get reminded, opinions are like "where you put cell phones". That being said several of you should actually read the story and not just the headline. The young "lady" was arrested for lying to police, which in case anyone missed an episode of COPS, is a crime. An officer can ask anything that they feel is important to the investigation, and untruthful answers are a crime. The individuals saying that they should sue, ya'll need help, did mommy and daddy call the lawyers for you when you acted out. The basic premise here is this girls total lack of respect for her environment, those around her, and anyone in a position of authority. Far too many of todays youth fail to understand the meaning of consequence of action, primarily because institutions such as schools, and yes parents as well, have had the ability to administer consequences stripped from them by the childless powers that be that know the best way to raise our children. Will this girl turn out to be another "mal-adjusted child" due to this incident? Again, read the story, it sounds like she already was on her way. But I do believe it will be quite some time before she decides that she shows how "Cool" she is. As it should be, consequence of action, welcome to reality.

sedakai

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
you could lie to an officer all day long now in a court room under oath thats a different story....plus someones zipper being down is not a reasonable suspicion for a criminal act

elkad

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2007
Illegal search and seizure! No crime, no reasonable suspicion of one.

Schools are free to administer punishment to students. That's merely an agreement between the school, parent, and teacher. But you don't call in police to enforce discipline unless there is a crime involved.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Calling the police for a hidden cell phone that's IMO:

1) wasting the US tax payers' money
2) an incident depicting the teacher's inadequacy of humanity, perception, personality and last but not least intelligence.
3) i could say many more but simply put wtf are they kidding us...

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
[citation][nom]mophil07[/nom]Seriously? Calling the police over a rude teen?! I cannot fathom a teacher wasting time, effort and tax payer dollars to call in police officers for a rude teenager! I'm not condoning what the teen did, but at the same time, we as adults need to use our discretion and best judgement when handling minor (ie. juvenile as well as trivial) situations.[/citation]

All of you who assume 911 was called or even just the regular police line are taking the story a little too literally. You have to read between the lines a little sometimes. Would "School security officer was called" have made much sense to write, especially if that security officer is most likely a city employed police officer? Give the teacher a little credit here, who actually thinks a teacher would call 911 or outside police at all for an issue like this? Most likely the teacher tried the dean or principal first and either they had the security officer go down there or told the teacher to get them and I imagine it came down to this after the teacher told the student to report to the dean's office and the student refused to go anywhere.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I agree phones do not belong in the classroom.... However

I would be IRATE if the school reported my child to the police for something so trivial. This offence should have been a 2 or 3 day school suspension and a pounding from Dad. This girl was texting! not throwing the phone around the room, bullying people, shooting people, disrupting people… she was only harming herself by not paying attention to class. However disrespecting your teacher, or anyone for that matter must be punished at school AND home.

As a single father of a twelve year old boy I know sometimes children don’t listen…THEY ARE CHILDREN! I shur as hell don’t call the police, I handle the matter with a frank discussion and sometimes punishments depending on the situation.

Do the police not have better things to do then catch people texting?!! What a waste of tax payers money… make yourself useful and catch some criminals!

VAL3NTINO

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
For everyone who thinks that the teacher was wrong, I gotta say that none of you thought about the rest of the kids in the class. When a kid decides to be a nuisance in class, the rest of the students suffer. Maybe a little humility is good for the brat.

VAL3NTINO

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
For everyone who thinks that the teacher was wrong, I gotta say that none of you thought about the rest of the kids in the class. When a kid decides to be a nuisance in class, the rest of the students suffer. Maybe a little humility is good for the brat.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
In the USA can you not plead the 5th? In which case this girl did not have to say SH*T to the police?

That may sound stupid, im Canadian, we have different laws, no 5th ammendment. I can guarantee in Canada you don’t have to say a damn thing to a cop untill you have a lawyer present. In fact, you would be smart to do just that.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]VAL3NTINO[/nom]For everyone who thinks that the teacher was wrong, I gotta say that none of you thought about the rest of the kids in the class. When a kid decides to be a nuisance in class, the rest of the students suffer. Maybe a little humility is good for the brat.[/citation]

I agree with you... But how disrupting is TXT'ing?

This child needs punishment, just not in the form of COURT

G

The girl was probably a problem for quite a while already, and with the girl's recent act the teacher could no longer tolerate the girl. The way I understand teachers is that most of them are extremely patient - they are trained for this, unless the teacher was a newcomer.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Corporal punishment would have been an interesting solution.

Bend the girl over and a paddle on the rear would have sent the phone shooting out the kids big mouth.

sedakai

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CRIMINAL ABOUT THIS i cant believe a good lawyer hasn't sued the police department yet.....just wait

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]Judguh[/nom]That's... disturbing that a 14 year old girl would consider shoving a phone "in the buttocks area". I agree with the people who think texting is criminal, and to even call the police for such a minor offense. Teens will always be teens with their rebelling and smart-alec nature. They should just disallow cellphones altogether in the school and if one is seen could be siezed by a faculty member.[/citation]

The teacher did ask for the phone, if it was forced guarantee the school would have been slapped with an assault charge.

ciscoopa

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
First off: the report, much less the title is misleading. She didn't put it IN her but. She also wasn't arrested for lying to the police. Go read the actual police report.

Besides all that, calling the police is an extreme measure, the arrest simply overboard. If the girl was sent to the office and didn't cooperate then call her parents, suspend her, and make them come get her. ARRESTING a 14 year old child simply because she didn't listen to her teacher is insane. If she was violent, made threats, or did something that endangered others I'm all for it. How is it the school doesn't have contact information for her parents? Jeesh.

You'd think a police officer who commonly deals with teenagers would have a little thicker skin than this. You'd also think school administrators would try to do something besides destroy this girl's life. Hell, expelling her would have been less damaging but that would have made the SCHOOL responsible...and they can be sued much more easily. I'm pretty sure they will be anyhow.

G

Am I the only one slightly disturbed by the fact that accompanying this article was an ad for the "iGo Everywhere Power Adapter?" I mean...I think in this context there are obviously some places into which a power adapter shouldn't venture.

And as for the teacher calling the police, there's obviously a lack of info here. Most likely, as it was already suggested, it was a school resource officer who was called. SRO's are legitimate (and unfortunate) police officer assigned to schools who are present and available for exactly this kind of thing (Confiscation of goods, searches, etc).

As for the severity of txting in class, is it the most disrupting thing in the world? Not compared to some things, but a beeping or buzzing phone IS a distraction. A student who is focused on their phone also calls the attention of other students away from their work. Furthermore, obviously txting WAS a distraction for that student.

What happened to the basics? Work ethic. Respect. Attentiveness.

Anyone who is jumping to attack the teacher needs to spend more time in a classroom, trust me. You don't even realize what kind of adults are churned out without the basics. College admission departments understand the problem. Businesses trying to hire understand the problem too. Read up on the issues that the product of over-indulgent education systems is causing for the rest of the country.

School doesn't need to be prison. It doesn't even need to be intensely strict or overbearing. All it really needs is high but achievable expectations, real consequences, and support from the community.

omaudio

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Went too far- police? Send the girl to the principal's office or diciplinary office- if she holds out suspend her and contact the parents.

ebastage

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
She should have kept her mouth shut, and not answered any questions until her parent(s)/guardian were present then no crime would have been committed. But seriously, texting while in class and then lying to police was a dumb thing to do.

jameshan2k

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Corporal punishment has no place in a classroom. The teachers are there to teach & parents are here to discipline. I have two boys in school & they know that if they act up the teacher is going to call or email me. They fear my wrath more than any teacher's.

If a teacher ever spanks my child a lawsuit is the least of their concerns.

angelfire4vlad

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Police involvement is absolutely the only way to get through to kids nowadays...unfortunately. Regardless of any omitted information on this situation, it is apparent that the teacher in question gave the girl multiple opportunities to make the right decision. This girl's choice to repeatedly disobey authority is what actually led her to more severe consequences - overkill or not.
Today's kids (my pre-teen included), and really kids in general, will continue to make "bad" decisions as a completely natural power struggle; to see how far they can take it, if you will.
Until we can start influencing them positively, as a community - particularly through proactive parental involvement - we will continue to see our kids acting and reacting negatively, just like we show them in "the real world".

Status
Not open for further replies.