Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Everyone in this story went farther than what they should have. You shouldn't text in class, duh, put the thing away. You shouldn't call the police over a thing so miniscule as a phone, come on now, I think the teacher was having an authoritative issue and didn't have the guts to just kick her out of class. Seriously, calling the police over a cell phone in a class? Thats like killing a fly with a nuke people. Don't they have a school security official? You don't need to get the feds involved with something like this. So now the girl is going to have a criminal record because she was using a cell phone in a classroom.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Seriously though, my primary school teacher in Taiwan used to whip un-cooperative student everyday with a wooden stick /boom. Attending and attention rate are generally high and parents usually support the teachers. IN fact, the hallmark of bad schools is indifferent teachers; school admin that doesn’t support corporal punishment and parents that think their kids are special and should be pampered.

Detention and suspension does nothing as the kid doesn’t want to be in school anyway. The more they acted out, the more time they can spend at home /hanging out until they finally dropped out.

christophero1973

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2008
How about simply BAN or BLOCK ($900 device) cell phone usage at school like CANADA, FRANCE, GERMANY or ENGLAND. There is a HUGE problem when the school counselors are NOT called in, but the police are (?). Was she disrespectful, YES. Was ANY CRIME COMMITTED BERFORE the police were called? NO! NO PROPERTY WAS STOLEN, NO THREAT WAS MADE, AND NO PERSON WAS STRUCK OR INJURED. Now she will be persecuted daily by her peers, have a police record, and be fearful of raising her hand in class. Congratulations on making ANOTHER MAL-ADJUSTED CHILD(!) who will: look the other way when she sees a crime committed, over-react and believe it's normal behavior(like you), never trust but cower to authority instead of fighting for her own beliefs and needs. Way to teach. Thanks ALOT for WASTING MY MONEY and another student’s future!

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
That's... disturbing that a 14 year old girl would consider shoving a phone "in the buttocks area". I agree with the people who think texting is criminal, and to even call the police for such a minor offense. Teens will always be teens with their rebelling and smart-alec nature. They should just disallow cellphones altogether in the school and if one is seen could be siezed by a faculty member.

Judguh

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Judguh[/nom] I agree with the people who think texting is criminal[citation]

I meant isn't criminal... whoops...

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
this girl is addicted to her phone so much that she would rather keep in her butt then give it to police. apparently the parents are the issue here and need to be responsible for there kids actions. the teacher had a last resort and that was to call the policy a little out of line but there was apparently no other corse of action.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
The teacher's hands are tied. Teachers can do nothing to students anymore with all the protection children are given. They have no option other than "turning to a higher authority," be it the principal, dean or police. I mean, what else is this teacher supposed to do? He can yell all he wants but by the sound of it that would likely get him nowhere. If he attempts to use force then he has a lawsuit on his hands.

It's unfortunate that our society is brought us to this. Bring back capital punishment. You better believe kids will act appropriate if the consequence is a stick across the back of the hand.

I feel bad for the good teachers.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
If I was the teacher the phone would have been buried in her @$$ for texting during my class too... except in my case the cops would be coming for me, not her!

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Look no laws were really broken. Texting is not a crime, as far as I know, anywhere. She was wrong for doing it and then to give the teacher lip about it, boy that would not fly where I came from. As for lying to the police, I would have to, especially if they asked for my phone number. None of their business regardless if they are police and they should not have been called in the first place. Now she could end up with a criminal record because of her attitude, the school teacher and administration being complete morons and too scared of their own shadow, and the police going to far imo. Welcome to the new society. Progressive? You call this progressive? All fingers end up pointing to everyone involved in this and they should.

theblade

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
So, it`s now the police job to ensure that students act the right way in class, like it´s not enough what they already do, that`s really the teacher and parents job, especially the parents.

mophil07

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Seriously? Calling the police over a rude teen?! I cannot fathom a teacher wasting time, effort and tax payer dollars to call in police officers for a rude teenager! I'm not condoning what the teen did, but at the same time, we as adults need to use our discretion and best judgement when handling minor (ie. juvenile as well as trivial) situations.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
The teacher should have called the parent not the police. The Police have more important criminals to arrest. The girl doesn't need the suspension and the parent doesn't need the court case. Our court system doesn't need to waste time on this crap. The girl needs her phone taken away and many days of detention not suspension. The punishment for not paying attention in class should be lots of extra class time not a week off.

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I am a student now and I don't text in class I am in school to pay attention and get into college. The reason the police were called is because most schools do not have the right to search a student and not risk getting sued. She lied tot he police she deserves what she gets. If only bad parenting was a crime then they could charge the parents too if I did they the police charges would be nothing compared to what I would receive at home.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I'm getting tired of all these incidents with kids and cell phones. Many of them claim they can't live without their cell... We didn't have cell phones when I was growing up. Many kids were considered rich or lucky just to have a land-line telephone in their own room. Yes, its nice for parents to reach their kids when needed but that's just another excuse for not knowing or having to know where they're at and what they're doing. You can chalk this up there along with TV for the decline in integrity, morals and values.

I say kids shouldn't be allowed cell phones at all, meaning illegal like cigarettes and booze for those under the age of 17 or 18. Make limited capability cellulars for when its a must, like putting a kid on a bus, train or plane by themselves to go to grandma's house so they can call parents or the police if they get in trouble and parents can keep tabs on them.

G

Well, I think people are not understanding the situation fully. The teacher would not just call 911 right after she could not get the phone from the girl. Like you do not punish your kid for doing something wrong the first time. I believe the teacher did all he/she could have done (maybe not at this moment, but over time), and then called the police.

So, you want to send a kid to a school where they can learn, right? Learning is not just textbook material, but also communicate with others, respect, and all these other stuff for her life.

Now it seems like if the kids do not care, parents have to deal with them until they are 18, then kick them out of the house. Or could they? As parents, can you do it?

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
The issue in this case is NOT whether texting is or should be criminal. She was arrested for lying to the cops, a chargeable offense regardless of other circumstances. Personally, I believe cell phones should be kept in lockers during school. Students can check for messages between classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.