Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
average stupid amerikan meets police states of amerika...
Land of the Free, Home of the Brave, Adieu

That's just the result of corporate controlled and state sponsored dumbing down and training (as in dressage/abrichten) of it's minions that only the state, and it's enforcers - someday they where called public servants - is/are the only authority.
It's illegal for parents or teachers - which should have all the attributes and responsibilities of parents while in class - to smack the brats, but it's legal for a cop to detain a minor for lies. The cops surely did inform the "assailant" of it's legal rights... to shut (the f**k) up and search legal advise.
Western society, with its two spearheads PSA and PK (police kingdom), is going down the drain.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm impressed the police bothers to show up for such a thing! Here (denmark) you're lucky if they show up for an ongoing brawl the same hour they've been rung up!

corsario

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
what a crazy country. You are all crazy, i'm sorry to say that but it´s true. Calling the police to arrest a child it's odd. Charging a 14 years old of a crime it's even odder. Your legal system is strange: a 14 years old girl cannot concent to have sex (which is a good thing) because she doesn´t have the capacity to avaliate her actions, but if she lies the police, then she must be charged- what about little children don´t have the capacity to avaliate ther actions? Why do you do that? Wouldn´t be better call her parents to the school? You are mad, I say lol

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
One thing I didn't understand is, how can a 14 year old be charged with criminal sentence/fine?
As long as I know, for anyone who's under legal age, their parents or patrons are held responsible for misdemeanor of the child.
If a 14 year old can be held responsible, then (s)he has right to vote or go buy sprits also. Am I wrong?
This was off topic, now on topic:
1. Why didn't the teacher call the parents at the very first place.
2. If such incidents happened before and parents weren't paying attention, then how come this kid's left with inattentive parents?
3. Why the police officer did't call the parents at his office?
4. Isn't it illegal to strip and search an underage by adults, albeit it's same sex?
5. Isn't the whole story bit silly?

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
I witnessed a "cell phone in the classroom" situation where the police ended up making an arrest. The girl had her phone out in class (phones are not even to be ON in this school). The teacher noticed and demanded the phone from the student (she is authorized to do this under the Code of Conduct that all the students have to agree to at the beginning of every year). The student refused so the teacher ordered her to the front office. She refused to do that so the teacher called school security. They told her to go with them and she refused. They called an assistant principal up who STRONGLY suggested that she should go with them. She still refused. He called the School Resource Officer (SRO - a city cop assigned to the school). He asked her to go with him (she refused) and he then had all the kids around her move their desks away from hers. He threw an arm-bar on her and had her up out of her seat in 2 seconds with the student saying, "OK OK I'm going!" That's when he gave her the bad news. "You don't understand. Once I'm forced to touch you, you're under arrest."

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]duzcizgi[/nom]One thing I didn't understand is, how can a 14 year old be charged with criminal sentence/fine?As long as I know, for anyone who's under legal age, their parents or patrons are held responsible for misdemeanor of the child.If a 14 year old can be held responsible, then (s)he has right to vote or go buy sprits also. Am I wrong?This was off topic, now on topic:1. Why didn't the teacher call the parents at the very first place.2. If such incidents happened before and parents weren't paying attention, then how come this kid's left with inattentive parents?3. Why the police officer did't call the parents at his office?4. Isn't it illegal to strip and search an underage by adults, albeit it's same sex?5. Isn't the whole story bit silly?[/citation]Now go back and actually READ the police report included with the article.
1. If a teacher had to call a parent every time a student acted up, they'd never get any instruction done because the students would take turns acting up.
2. And who's going to be the judge of whether parents are inattentive or not? You?
3. The police officer TRIED to call the parents, but the student gave four different false phone numbers to him.
4. Stop reading what you want to into the article. It is not illegal to search minors by adults. This was NOT a strip search. The general practice is to have additional witnesses there to protect against abuse by the searcher and false charges by the searchee.
5. Yes, it IS silly, because the student could have avoided ALL of this by turning off her f*ing cell phone when she was in school. Instead, she faces charges for lying to a law enforcement official.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Incidentally, the student that was arrested in the situation I witnessed was arrested for trespassing. Once she refused to go with the assistant principal, she was declared to be trespassing by school administration and the SRO was called. The police here can't assist until an actual criminal act has happened or is in progress. That's why there were so many levels of interaction BEFORE the SRO was called.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... on tha one hand - great policestate example... on tha other... when you can find any information on any subject in internet, what can teachers teach in this digital times... ok... English grammar to me... but i'm Latvian... English iz not my native language... tha youth in our part of tha world get bored by teachers because they find out so much so early thanks to the internet... sometimes tha kids are much clever than teachers...

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Well, the girl could deny talking to the police without council, that IS her 5th ammendment rights. She lied to an officer. That is illegal. period. I don't think that phones belong in the classroom, and depending on the city/crime/difficulty of the school, it's not unheard-of to use police to enforce policy. The fact that she lied, went so far as to stash that phone up her butt, and lie about it warrents legal recourse.

BrendanS

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
It is always very easy to over react to hearing an article such as this so misrepresented and sensationalised. The lame people responsible for this rubbish aren't real journalists... anyone can tell half a story.

As an educator there is always more to education than meets the eye. Education is about effectively managing a classroom and sometimes this is very difficult. More than ample opportunity is given to all students to comply with school policy because lets face it, everyone is human and a teacher doesnt really want a battle and doesnt want to have to disrupt lessons to call someone else to help them.

Education includes teaching students about which battles to fight... Lying and not giving over your cell phone when police are asking you for it is not the right battle... she has hopefully learnt a valuable lesson this time.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I am just a little interested in something that came to mind reading all these comments. I am an American and love it, however as many have said, including me, too many people here tend to be "sue happy" and one of the results we get are situations like this. I heard that in England that if someone tries to sue another person and losses that they, the ones that lost, are required to pay the court costs and fees of the party they tried to sue. If that is true I think we should implement that here in America (before you all start sorry while it can happen in America, I rarely see it happen). In the long run these ridiculous lawsuits would go down and the impact would be that we would not see as many of these incidents happening. Teachers and schools would once again be able to teach and keep order without involving police, they got enough to as is, and these kids would actually start to show some respect (I hope). Anyone from England verify this? Sounds good to me.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I don't know why so many people think spanking a child is against the law or abuse.. here in Michigan:
(7) This section does not prohibit a parent or guardian, or other person permitted by law or authorized by the parent or guardian, from taking steps to reasonably discipline a child, including the use of reasonable force.

I personally do not agree with spanking for my own child, but he's never done anything to warrant that kind of punishment.

Using "spanking" as a means of punishment is a parent's decision however, I just don't feel that it is very effective in most cases. For some kids, maybe that is the only way to get through to them, who knows. I'm not going to argue whether spanking is bad or good, it's just an option of punishment available to most parents in most US states.

However, what I will argue is that no one should have the right to lay a hand on my child when it comes to physical punishment. Not teachers, not principals or any other school administrator. If my child was to ever get that out of hand, then they better be calling me to handle my child. If there were ever a problem as such with my kid, I would leave work at the drop of a hat to come to school and deal with the situation.

Corporal punishment is not the solution in this case. However part of the solution is better parenting and teaching your kids to respect authority, whether it be a teacher or police. I'm sorry, but if this girl was texting her dad during class (and he was replying) he probably doesn't have much respect for the school either. I'm not sure how you go about fixing bad parenting, but blaming liberals, conservatives, Obama, Bush, the US or whatever is not the solution either.

Unfortunately, I believe everyone acted a bit ridiculously in this case. Sending the girl to the office seems like a better alternative than calling the cops, to me.

I'm just happy to know that I've been raising my son to respect people, rather than be a self-absorbed little brat. Which means that I actually pay attention to him, talk to him, eat with him, do activities together and teaching him the value of treating others as you wish to be treated yourself. My kid would have never brought his cellphone into the classroom to begin with, let alone disrupt his learning with it. Yes, he does have a cellphone for emergencies, however unless there is an emergency it stays off, in his backpack. I am also a single father with sole custody, which has been able to raise a respectful and intelligent teenager. I know I still have hurdles ahead.. but I love being a parent and hanging out with my kid, he is the best thing that could have ever happened to me.

Therefore, that is what leads me to believe the parents are most likely pretty much absent from this girl's life or just don't really care all that much. I'm trying very hard to reserve my judgement about her parents, but it's pretty difficult when I've never found it a problem to be able to instill morals and a sense of what is right and wrong with my own child.

macbook

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]AlaskaDrew[/nom]Purposely misleading headline. Great job, you got me to read this piece of crap. I recommend starting all of your story titles with a women putting something in her butt.[/citation]

Then i guess you weren't here for tech news if that's what you're saying. I guess you would only click on stories that have women sticking stuff up their asses. Dork.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]macbook[/nom]Then i guess you weren't here for tech news if that's what you're saying. I guess you would only click on stories that have women sticking stuff up their asses. Dork.[/citation]He's talking about the LEAD sentence that says the girl was arrested for texting (untrue). She was arrested for lying to a law enforcement official during an official investigation. The part about the phone being found in her butt was true.

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Eccentric909[/nom]If my child was to ever get that out of hand, then they better be calling me to handle my child. If there were ever a problem as such with my kid, I would leave work at the drop of a hat to come to school and deal with the situation.[/citation]
I applaud your dedication to your child's education. Sadly, however, most people don't have the luxury you have of telling their boss they are leaving at the drop of a hat. Many of the students in our area have parents working as day laborers, so contacting the parents during the school day is a hit or miss prospect. Even if they ARE able to be contacted, leaving the job site will guarantee they are unemployed by the next morning.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Maybe now she won't qualify to serve in the military or other places requiring a clearance. IDK about Wisconsin laws, but some places the juvenile records follow into adulthood. Many applications also ask for every arrest and a complete explanation of the circumstance, and when you fill out 300+ applications as I did one year to get a decent job...

America needs more breeders that can't get work anyway.

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Fadamor[/nom]Now go back and actually READ the police report included with the article.1. If a teacher had to call a parent every time a student acted up, they'd never get any instruction done because the students would take turns acting up.[/citation]
In my childhood they were calling and parents were coming. No problems there. Will they call the cops everytime they can't handle a kid? Where did they study pedagogy? Let me not send my son to that institute.
[citation]
2. And who's going to be the judge of whether parents are inattentive or not? You?[/citation]
If some child's parents were called quite often, then this should ring the alarm bells and social workers should step in.
[citation]
3. The police officer TRIED to call the parents, but the student gave four different false phone numbers to him.[/citation]
Why didn't the police got the number from child's file? Isn't it mandatory to give parental contact numbers during enrollment?
[citation]
4. Stop reading what you want to into the article. It is not illegal to search minors by adults. This was NOT a strip search. The general practice is to have additional witnesses there to protect against abuse by the searcher and false charges by the searchee.[/citation]
I'm afraid, yes, sir. When someone searches what's under your trousers, it's called strip search. Without X-Ray imaging, even searching underwear of adults is prohibited, albeit an underage.
[citation]
5. Yes, it IS silly, because the student could have avoided ALL of this by turning off her f*ing cell phone when she was in school. Instead, she faces charges for lying to a law enforcement official.[/citation]
This doesn't make the following mistakes become true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS