Girl Confuses Wiimote with Loaded Gun, Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostfire626

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I, like everyone else here, hate when videogames are wrongfully blamed for anything. But in this case, I believe the Wii controller did play some part in this tragedy, even if it was not the main cause. I don't think we should automatically dismiss videogames as a negative influence because of our affinity for them.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Another senseless death of a child. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge second amendment supporter, but when I here these stories it just drives me crazy how stupid parents can be.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Words fail me...

Why would you have a loaded .380 with a three year old running around.

It's because of people like this that there is so much gun control.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
You're right we shouldn't dismiss because we like them. We should dismiss them, because FREAKING PARENTS SHOULDN'T BE STUPID!

This is a little 3 year old girl. A gun in reach.. Really wtf would you leave a loaded weapon, and walk away from it when you have a baby in the house. Unacceptable.

This should probably would've done the same freaking thing even if they didn't have a wii.

Also games, videos, music are not to blame. Lack of parenting and common sense is.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
That is obviously a lie, since any real gun would need a certain amount of pressure that no 3 year old has, to be able to fire. And by "unloading the ammo" do you mean the gun only had 1 bullet? And also a 3yearold girls hand is too small to shoot a gun. AND whats a 3 year old girl doing playing video games, theres an age for everything and that age isnt at all for gaming.

G

Korean parents kill their kid by playing a game while he starves. It isn't so different than killing a kid by giving them a gun. Bad parenting is bad parenting, and no law will ever be good enough to stop everyone. Like the saying goes, 'Make something idiot proof and evolution will give us a better idiot.'

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
the stepfather said that he pulled out the handgun when he thought he heard a prowler outside. He said that instead of putting the gun away, he left the weapon on the living room end table--apparently with the safety still turned off.
To say this is gross negligence of a parent is an understatement. The man should be tried as if he was the one who purposely killed the child.

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
No charges should be filed against the parents, living the rest of their lives knowing their daughter died like this is punishment enough.

I wouldn't be that harsh on the parents, the stepfather just had a small lapse in mental judgement that unfortunately resulted in the worse imaginable thing for these parents. These parents could have been great, and this just an unfortunate accident.

Think about it, you hear something outside or inside your house at night, you get your gun to check it out only to find out nothing is there. You are only half awake and maybe set your gun down on a table after you realize nothing is there, your wife maybe calls your name to tell you to come back to bed and distracts you, and you go back to bed leaving your loaded gun with safety off on the table.

Accidents happen all the time, one lapse in mental judgement when you own guns and have small kids can result in tragedy.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Any child that age will pick up anything, remote, controller, or in this case, a gun, and not know necessarily which way your supposed to hold it. What I can't figure out is why anyone would leave a loaded weapon anywhere that a 3 year old could reach it. I can't even call that a mistake or an accident! That was just plain stupidity!

ayeohx

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Folks, calm down on the defense. I'm sure the parents understand that it was a bad move but it was a terrible accident. You guys are being terribly callous.
Also, I don't believe that the article directly shifts blame to Nintendo - it just mentioned a valid fact. Yeah, I know you guys see trouble brewing, just don't attack a family that lost their kid while you're defending your medium - it isn't cool and makes us look like the desensitized jerks that some of the media makes us out to be.

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I can imagine anti-video games lobbies will be leaping on this, even though it is a tragic mistake where a loaded weapon was left out.

Though it does raise the question of whether young children should be playing these games. I'm not saying the games are bad but I don't think that young, impressionable children should be playing them. It is teaching them that violence is a positive thing that is fun. In someone that young it is going to leave deep-seeded traits that will affect their behaviour later.

I love games, especially FPS's but I do not think that parents should be letting their young kids play them if they are violence .

cammmy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I can imagine anti-video games lobbies will be leaping on this, even though it is a tragic mistake where a loaded weapon was left out.

Though it does raise the question of whether young children should be playing these games. I'm not saying the games are bad but I don't think that young, impressionable children should be playing them. It is teaching them that violence is a positive thing that is fun. In someone that young it is going to leave deep-seeded traits that will affect their behaviour later.

I love games, especially FPS's but I do not think that parents should be letting their young kids play them if they are violence .

Status
Not open for further replies.