Gmail Logo Was a Rush Job With Two Totally Different Fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Apple: pours millions of dollars and hundreds of workhours into so-called "design" of every last detail.

Google: does design overnight, still kicks Apple's ass.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Apple: pours millions of dollars and hundreds of workhours into so-called "design" of every last detail.Google: does design overnight, still kicks Apple's ass.[/citation]
That's a pretty pathetic stretch to spout Apple hate in an article that has nothing to do with them, and by using a horrible, broad, vague example to make your ridiculous point as well.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
That said, I thought the origin of the logo was interesting. I never noticed the different fonts, but it's obvious when you actually look at it. Fontophiles will probably cry about using a font like Myriad Pro, though.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I just spent a few minutes looking for these fonts and found them. Found the Catull to be correct (for "Google" and the "G" in Gmail). As far as the Myraid Pro (for the "mail" in "Gmail"), it looks like it was used for the "ail" in "Gmail", and to an extent, the "m" as well, but more or less "Photoshopped" to match the envelope. The letters after it ("ail"), look as if they've been slightly "squished", so-to-speak. I don't know the term for that. I'm not a graphic designer. Otherwise, the font looks correct.

At first, I absolutely despised Google. I thought it was just too plain looking and unattractive. It took me a while to get off of Yahoo's search engine and take advantage of Google. I still find myself hitting Yahoo for everything else because everything I "need" is right there.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]That's a pretty pathetic stretch to spout Apple hate in an article that has nothing to do with them, and by using a horrible, broad, vague example to make your ridiculous point as well.[/citation]

It worked. Any more questions? :D

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
a google story with a comments section full of apple hate - just a little too familiar

Why hate apple? - after all if it weren't for the iphone google would have nothing to copy for android.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hilarious how some companies (can't think of any right now), spent millions of dollars in analysts, graphic designers and occasionally hire outside graphic design firms, and end up with terrible designs.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
bill gates: to be a good professional engineer always study late before exams, it teaches you how to organize time and tackle emergencies

ihateapple9000

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Apple: pours millions of dollars and hundreds of workhours into so-called "design" of every last detail.Google: does design overnight, still kicks Apple's ass.[/citation]

+1

I H8 APPL

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]someoneelse[/nom]a google story with a comments section full of apple hate - just a little too familiar Why hate apple? - after all if it weren't for the iphone google would have nothing to copy for android.[/citation]
i remember rumors about android came out about the same time as rumors about the iphone
"unveiling of the Android distribution in 2007 was announced with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of 86 hardware, software, and telecommunication companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices." from wikipedia
and actually a company had started developing android way before that in 2005 before google bought it

the iphone was released on June 29, 2007

i think apple copied google

G

"i think apple copied google"

From WIRED (http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/magazine/16-02/ff_iphone?currentPage=2) "In 2002, shortly after the first iPod was released, Jobs started thinking about developing a phone.. that summer (2004), while he publicly denied he would build an Apple phone, Jobs was working on his entry into the mobile phone industry.. In February 2005, he got together with Cingular to discuss a Motorola-free partnership.. Jobs delivered a three-part message to Cingular: Apple had the technology to build something truly revolutionary, "light-years ahead of anything else.".. Jobs had reason to be confident. Apple's hardware engineers had spent about a year working on touchscreen technology for a tablet PC and had convinced him that they could build a similar interface for a phone. Plus, thanks to the release of the ARM11 chip, cell phone processors were finally fast and efficient enough to power a device that combined the functionality of a phone, a computer, and an iPod."

There is more to the WIRED story that says Apple spent YEARS before 2005 working on the iPhone.. Apple just didn't copy Google when Google bought Android in August 2005. Google's Eric Schmidt was on the Apple board so saw what Apple was up to and decided Google needed to do the same thing! The first Android phone came out over a year later than the first iPhone so how does Apple copy something that doesn't get released until over a year later?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]That's a pretty pathetic stretch to spout Apple hate in an article that has nothing to do with them, and by using a horrible, broad, vague example to make your ridiculous point as well.[/citation]
It was a comparison and well Apple has said they spend a lot of time and manpower on their designs and Google just said they did it at the last second and yet both worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.