God is Watching: Cinema Warns Torrenting Pirates

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
stop you damn whining about the price of movies. stop at the local 7-11 and pick up some nachos, hot dog and a drink for a couple of bucks...go to the dollar store and purchase your candy...wait by the exit doors at the theater and walk on in. problem solved.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
7-11's aren't everywhere
so stop posting dumbass shit
seriously...think about it for at least 2 secondes before you post.....

winglerw28

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Oh your god! Unfortunately for you, I don't believe in him...

Seriously, I wonder if somebody who is an atheist just busted out laughing upon seeing this. I personally wouldn't pirate from a company I support. (tehe, loopholes in logic)

tiredwolf

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
No, people aren't forking over 11$ to go to a movie because it is 11 DOLLARS TO GO TO A MOVIE! All of these companies don't get it... when a better way to view their media comes around, legal or not. Instead of just jacking up their prices to compensate for loss of market, they should migrate into that new market.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
quite honestly i find their little sign to possibly religiously offensive. 1 god doesnt kill any thing, . god probably doesnt give a crap about movies and movie downloads

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
lol blame ALL p2p for your losses. Fail to consider that the economy is in a recession and movie goers aren't going to shell out the 10 bucks for a mediocre film? Get serious. p2p is not your problem.

dsolom3

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I think that given the generic "Torrent" is where it is wrong. In that case I am probably responsible for a dozen theater closures (torrented 12 linux distros lol).

In any case, using God is wrong. Haven't they been told not to use Lord's name in Vain?

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Yay, another company blaming their fail on pirating while we're in a recession! Whoot!

Honestly, how stupid do they think we are? Cinemas make unbelievable amounts of money. STFU

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
as if God werent busy enough now He's added killing cinema's?!

attention PCC and other cinemas:
as soon as you can make the movie watching experience at your house as good as the one in my basement you'll have my business back.

of course this also includes somehow preventing random strangers from "interacting" with the movie while i'm trying to watch ... and muffling those crying toddlers ... and restraining the one's kicking the back of my seat too.

the whole world is a changing PCC. if you pray about it i bet God tells you: to make necessary improvements ... then to get over yourselves.

i guess going ahead a dying is always an option too.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Knowing Tom Hanks got 50,000,000$ for his play in Illuminati, makes me thank that we would have to torrent very very hard to kill the cinema.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rick_h[/nom]Average cost for two people going to the movies is way over $34. Breaking it down: 2 ea x $10 for tickets, $6 for popcorn, 2 x $4. Why should anyone pay this outragous price? Thank goodness for NetFlix.[/citation]
The thing is, cinema normally has to give "the industry" 50% of the ticket price. That's why cinemas are motivated to make profit on selling popcorn etc.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]Socrates047[/nom]you cant find indie films on torrents[/citation]

Independent cinemas != Indie films

Most likely they are running either older big-name movies or a new release, with an occasional indie film or sometimes a stage production.

----

As far as movie prices go, in my area I think they're quite reasonable. $6 for a matinee, $8 for evening shows ($7 for students in college/high school). Yeah, the snacks can get a bit pricey, but I don't mind forking over $10-12 for a large popcorn, large drink and bag of candy.

It's usually a nice time out for my girlfriend, my kid and I. Going to a matinee we spend anywhere from $20-30, which is worth it to me, to get out of the house and do something, especially during a cold, nasty Michigan winter.

I don't bother torrenting, or using any other means of downloading pirated material anymore. Now that I'm older and can afford to actually purchase movies/software/games, it's easier (to obtain and easier on my conscience) to go that route. While I don't agree with pirating copyrighted material in principle, I had done it in the past, so I don't really get all up in arms about others doing it now.

I'd probably care more or at least more sympathetic towards the loss of sales, if the RIAA, MPAA and whatever other organization didn't blow it out of proportion and act so damn greedy, suing people (from teenagers to old ladies) for outrageous sums of money.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
There is only one thing I don't understand about the mentality of "torrenting", "P2P", etc. Some people say "Damn greedy movie studios! If you don't lower your prices and put out better quality work, I'll keep downloading!". To me this seems a bit backwards, since if you really want them to lower their prices, wouldn't you just opt to not view, purchase or download the material? Especially if the quality is not all that great?

By downloading it, you're giving them grounds to actually charge more, since they can then shift the blame for their loss of profits on "piracy". I would figure a better way to send a message would be to not download, view or purchase the products at all. Therefore these companies can't blame "piracy" for the losses they are incurring and maybe come to the conclusion that they're charging too much, or that the quality of their work is not up to par.

Otherwise, it seems we'll be stuck in a circle of the software/movie/music industries blaming downloaders for their losses, jacking up prices even more. Which in turn the downloaders will continue blaming the industry for such high prices. Meanwhile, screwing over those who actually do legitimately purchase the media, go to the movies or rent the material.

Wouldn't a boycott be more effective, eliminating their reasoning for over-charging and blaming downloaders? Instead of downloaders claiming that these companies prices are too high and quality is poor, but that you'll continue to consume it, even if it means you use a non-legit source?

I'm not stating that downloading is either right or wrong, just trying to understand the logic.

snarfeck

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
ya i don't want to pay to see a movie while crackers, wetbacks, blacks, and jews are kicking the back of my seat and flirting with each other like a bunch of interracial fags.

angelofprogress

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
It has nothing to do with torrents, and everything to do with the Home Theater market. How many people 10 years ago had a TV bigger then 32''. Not too bloody many that's for sure. Home theater sales have skyrocketed in the past decade. Of course I'd rather watch a movie in my own house, on my comfortable chair that some stinky ass nerd hasn't had an orgasm all over during the newest comic book movie, on my 60'' 1080p TV, with my awesome surround sound. I don't have to worry about other annoying people laughing too loud, breathing too loud, talking, etc...the list goes on and on. What I'm saying is that the quality of movie I can watch now (60'' HD with HD Surround sound) is a lot better then it was a decade ago (27'' tube tv, VHS). That is what is killing the cinema. It's not even the lack of quality movies (let's be honest...there have been some good movies in the past decade). I think the cinema has some legitimate competition in the home theater business, and they just don't know how to deal with it or identify it correctly. So they blame torrents. Ignorant.

danny69t

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
this reminds me of a jpg i saw once "Everytime you masturbate, God kills a kitten" LOL

seriously, why would someone torrent a camrip of a movie? the quality of the image and sound is terrible. i preffer to go to a cinema to see the movie on a hugegantic screen and have surround sound. you can skip the popcorn and soda, it's not like you miss some part of the movie if you dont eat and drink those.
also if you want to torrent a movie, just wait about 3 months for the dvd or bluray rip :p

filmmaker_44

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
@acecombat, asjflask, brendano257, tippey764 & elasticman - You are a bunch of d*cks that need to STFU about big greedy corporations "ripping you off". F*ck you and your "clever" comments, you're pathetic. And that includes the morons that thumbed up your dumb comments. We're talking about small independent cinemas, not digital powerhouses like Cineworld or the Odeon. A lot of these independent picturehouses care about their customers and what they show. The Prince Charles is one of the best cinemas in the country and it cares about it's customers and what they think, unline the big chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.