raiden99

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
Blu-ray as one or Blu-ray has won? ;)

I, for one, saw this coming from the start. I saw that there were much more big titles on Blu-ray than HDDVD along with Disney backing Blu-ray. Mostly, even though I liked how cheap HDDVD movies are and players, Blu-ray set itself enough apart from DVD that it seems more of a nextgen setup than HDDVD. Of course, we all know that's not 100% the case, it's still enough to maybe push an executive over to the dark side. :)

I just hope that Sony doesn't get greedy and start charging more for royalties, etc. They certainly seem to overvalue those kind of things. Plus, I don't like how exclusive they always seem to be. However, if they can step up to the plate and help drive Bluray prices down then I don't see why we can't embrace Bluray as the DVD replacement.

Logomachist

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
Well it's nice that someone saw it coming. I hadn't been following the formats to closely and when HD-DVDs obituary ran, I was dumbstruck. I was expecting one of two scenarios:

■ Either the two formats would remain roughly as popular and most people would stick to vanilla DVD drives, instead of upgrading to a questionable format. Aren't holodraphic drives expected to hit the market in 2010? That's what I'm holding out for.
■ Or HD-DVD would win because naive consumers thought that HD-DVD would be better for their HDTVs because of the name.

It looked to me that Sony was depending on PS3 to sell Blu-Ray, and when the PS3 tanked I thought it would take Blu-ray with it. So, yeah, I was amazed.