Good DSLR for filming with £220 budget

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
So I just started doing a Media Film course and of course I want to make videos (Short films, like you see on YouTube ya'know). I was wondering if someone could tell me what DSLR would be best to get with a budget of £220, one that can record in 1080p and has an adjustable LCD screen. It'd be great if the camera came with a lens kit too, would rather not have to add much more to the price having to buy a lens seperately. The ability to take decent picture would be a bonus too. Thanks.

P.S Actual recommendations please, not comments telling me to look in certain places.

Solution

For your budget? Not going to happen. If you get that camera now, in 3mo you'll be wanting to buy a second lens, 6mo after that you'll want a fully manual lens, and a year from now you'll be looking to buy another camera!

The absolute best thing you can do when starting out is to limit yourself technologically, so you truly understand how to appeal to your audience without needing fancy things. That is unless you want to be second rate forever, that's fine too, but if you want to truly be great, you'll have to struggle a bit and really understand what matters and what doesn't.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Interesting.
You posit a device type.
You posit a budget.
You are informed that the desired device type will not fit in that budget.
You downvote the answer.

There is no 'new from the store' DSLR that can be had for £220.
If you change the parameters of the question, maybe we could make something work.

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

The downvote was an accident, didn't even realise that that was a downvote thing, was just seeing what it was so I apologise. Could you tell me what I'd be able to get at the closest price? For example the cheapest camera that would fit what I need? As a side question, do all DSLRs have the ability to equip a shotgun microphone? The microphone I'm thinking of using is the RODE VideoMic Pro.
Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK
At £220, you could get a good bridge camera. Looks like a DSLR...same size and shape, but pretty much the same sensor as a compact.
They can produce quite good pics, once you learn all the features.

Question is...do you want to concentrate on video or photography?

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

Mainly video! Also my follow up question was if you could tell me some DSLRs if I were to increase the budget, a DSLR that still meets my initial parameters but with a higher budget. What's the best but cheapest I could get brand new?

And also as an added parameter one were I can plug a shotgun mic in to record audio at a better quality. Thanks

USAFRet

Illustrious
At the basic level, there isn't a lot of difference between options from the two major brands, Canon and Nikon.

I suggest you go down to your local camera store, and play with a few. Talk to the guy and see what you like. He may even suggest something else completely.
Like a camcorder.

navalweaponsofficer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
HF R500 this has a mic jack and in in your initial budget.
as for DSLR do you want auto video focus? if so my T4i/650D/Kiss X6i recommendation is still my recommendation. If no you can go down to a T3i/600D/Kissx5 still used.
New you are looking at around 800-1000 USD minimum. T6I/750D/Kiss X8i.

If you mean fit in the shoe, yes. If you mean give you clean sound? Probably not, most lower end cameras have automatic audio gain.

Considering you're just starting out, consider just using a decent point and shoot or even an old digital camcorder for now. Until you learn the basics and understand what you want to do, spending extra for "quality" will actually make things look and feel worse. Learn composition, direction, lighting, etc, and then you'll know exactly what you need to buy for your particular goal.

Want an example of putting quality film-making first vs putting camera and effects quality first? Star Wars (original) vs Star Wars Ep 1-3. For all the high end cameras and expensive effects they put into the last three films, the original film with it's lower end equipment is far better as a piece of art.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Considering you're just starting out, consider just using a decent point and shoot or even an old digital camcorder for now. Until you learn the basics and understand what you want to do, spending extra for "quality" will actually make things look and feel worse. Learn composition, direction, lighting, etc, and then you'll know exactly what you need to buy for your particular goal.

This, in spades.

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014

And the audio will still be as bad if I attach a different mic to it? From a video I saw it didn't sound that bad. Also the thing is I don't want to have to buy a camera to only upgrade it. I'd prefer one that I could maybe get away with for a while before upgrade.

For your budget? Not going to happen. If you get that camera now, in 3mo you'll be wanting to buy a second lens, 6mo after that you'll want a fully manual lens, and a year from now you'll be looking to buy another camera!

The absolute best thing you can do when starting out is to limit yourself technologically, so you truly understand how to appeal to your audience without needing fancy things. That is unless you want to be second rate forever, that's fine too, but if you want to truly be great, you'll have to struggle a bit and really understand what matters and what doesn't.

Solution

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
That sounds logical, so what camera should I go for? I could get the Nikon D3200? Or D3300. Or maybe stick bridge and get the Sony HX300?
I was thinking the D3300? But that may mean getting one used from eBay, is there anything particularly wrong about buying a used camera?

RKayEll

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks man, just one final thing. Like you said I'll probably end up upgrading anyway, so do you think it's worth getting a mic for the camera to record anyway? Even if the quality is sub-par? I'll need to have some way to record audio. Thanks again

All cameras with video functions have a built in microphone. I doubt you'll see too much of a difference in quality.