Good programming language to learn?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008

+1 to you good sir.

Coming from someone who spends his entire work day inside the guts of Solaris 10 and BEAWLS I've learned to detest the arrogance that penguin heads have about themselves. Linux is great and all, I've had extensive experience with Linux in both the corporate and in my personal office, but it's not the answer to everything. And IDE's are just fancy ways to manage code, there is nothing an IDE can do that you can't do through notepad / command line compiler. Hell you can even use vi to make code, although god have mercy on your soul should you chose to do that.

To the OP, if you've started on C# then continue on that. C++ is always a good language to be fluent in, for no other reason then to be able to understand others code and translate it as need be. I'd be cautious with Java, I've had very bad experience's working with it and BEAWLS, its fine to develop in but can be archaic to the end user (if I see one more java.lang.exception: line xxx) error from reading an XML file I'm gonna toss the box out the window.

BTW my first language was ASM on a 8086 then an 80386. You HLL guys have it easy.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

+1 to the both above :)

I programed on every widely used OS today (Windows, Linux and MacOS) and there is always something that every programmer favours. Linux heads seem to just have that arogance built in themselves that nothing else is good but linux (like a kid when you say their dad is weaker than someone elses dad ;))

If you started with C#, that is a good foundation to continue. If you wabt to learn any other language, the principales are the same, just the syntax is different.
Visual Studio Express is FREE in any version (C#,C++,web or all versions in one package http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express ). In combination with SQL Express (also free), you can build great programs.

Ijack

Distinguished
Don't get me wrong. I actually do most of my programming on Linux, using a mixture of C and x86_64 assembler.

But that's certainly not what I would recommend to the OP. (Nothing wrong with the C part, but ....) For Windows programming, C# is a very fine language.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Don't get me wrong, but I mostly recomend C++ to begin with any programing. It is harder to learn, but one you learn you can switch to any platform and any other language with all the basic concepts.

I just recomended C# since he has some knowledge in it...

rdarrel59

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I poretty much agree with the penguin and I love the microsoft IDEs .... free is the way to go ... as I posted in the other forum:

Do ANY programming language (object oriented or not), provided that it is free .... JAVA, php, .NET (has 30-day developer edition for free) ....... .NET is pretty easy to use out of the box, but lots of people have difficulty setting up JAVA and PHP and getting them running. For web programming, I think .NET (using C# or VB) is the easiest to start writing programs, but it is not free after 30 days. While JAVA (avoid JSPs for now) and PHP are a little tricky to get working, they are totally free and pretty powerful. I would probably choose JAVA (and I prefer Microsoft, but I dont think you can lose if you learn anything). Despite what the techno-nerds will tell you, C# and JAVA are identical (and VB.net and C++) are very similar as they are also object oriented. Yes, they have some differences ...... who cares about the syntax. If you only learn syntax, you are not learning to program .... to learn to program, you need to start understanding orders of operation, looping, conditionals, program flows and logic ...... If I was starting today, I would download Eclipse and use this as my IDE. It is what WSAD/RAD are based on and it is pretty good. Again, I am a Windows guy and I really think Visual Studio is and always has been the top IDE but, the JAVA platform has really come a long way and has closed the gap a lot.

I would use this study manual:
CCSU Chortle Site for JAVA (the entire series will be a GREAT, free intro to procedural JAVA and later objects).

Expect some small issues out of the box, but it really isnt that difficult. Find someone that you know that can do this stuff and use them as a mentor .... try everything yourself and Google any issues you have first .... it's just the best way to learn; figuring it out for yourself. Use the mentor (or forums) as last resorts only so that YOU are the one learning (and you dont anger everyone by being lazy) .... if you are lazy, then you will NEVER learn to program in any language. I don't know many languages well, and I seriously dont think there is a problem I can figure out on any platform (and I have done well on MVS, Unix, and Windows). If you are willing to try and research, then you can figure out anything. Once you get through that Chortle site, look to do some web programming or whatever else interests you. Remember, once you get the hang of it, there are an infinite # of languages to learn and more seem to pop up every day and if you learn something good from one, you can almost always translate that into something useful in another language or platform (they just call it something slightly different). BE PATIENT ...... THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN (even from a single language like JAVA ..... there are an infinite # of APIs that you can utilize). Have fun!

Ijack

Distinguished
Unfortunately you perpetuate the myth that C# programming is not free. This is untrue. As this has been demonstrated in this thread it is now achieving the status of a deliberate lie rather than a mistake.

To reiterate - it costs nothing to program in C#; please refrain from misleading people on this point.