Good purchase upgrade?

Rue22

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Looking around for a laptop for my mother in-law, she does Facebook stuff mostly and her current laptop keeps running into hardware issues, its pretty damn old, so time for something newish, budget is around 500cad, I'm thinking this lenovo would be a step up with that ssd it has in there compared to the old hdd she has in the current one not to mention the better over all specs, just looking for another opinion as to what else is out there for the price and might be better?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834319760CVF&ignorebbr=1&_ga=1.186188137.1303594926.1470000035

Solution

Xtergo

Estimable
May 4, 2015
Consider Chromebooks..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRqPsgmzcQs

These are underrated easy to use linux based machines, extremely snappy and fast. They mainly are used for browsing,emails,facebook,twitter ect.
Also this is linux based so you wont have her running into issues every now and then she also wont be needing to install antivirus software and these are very thin and lightweight. Not to forget mentioning that batteries on these things are like 4-8 Hours.

Feel free to look around amazon and see reviews to what to buy :)
Here is an example https://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-Chromebook-Flip-Touchscreen-Laptop/dp/B00ZS4HK0Q/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470006384&sr=1-4&keywords=Chromebook

The key when shopping for Chromebooks is:
- intel based processor
- 2-4GB RAM
- 16GB Memory atleast (SSD)
- Good reviews

I personally do not own one but will be buying it for college Next month :)

IceMyth

Estimable
Dec 15, 2015

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
For just facebook and simple word processing, i highly suggest a chromebook. for one, it's about $150. two, it feels like it performs well- it boots fast, it's responsive. three, doesn't really get viruses. four, they're about to get Android app support for simple games and other things.

the only downside is if MIL needs to do anything with regular windows apps. also, setting up printing can be a bit of a hassle, though you're still probably saving with a chromebook and a google cloud print enabled printer.

Rue22

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I like the reviews but thinking storage might be a problem, she likes saving pictures and for me to explain how the cloud stuff works or her trying to figure out how to connect a usb, probably wouldn't go over so well lol, would like something familiar as possible so I don't have to go over it constantly like I have the past 5 years XD

Xtergo

Estimable
May 4, 2015

The Way how google drive in Chromebooks works is like creating a virtual folder but I can imagine running into problems... if you can find some spare time time buying an ssd of around 120gb or a just teach her how to use a usb.

But trust me refurbished laptops arent worthit, you dont need and i5 core her a 'Modern' celeron or Pentium windows based laptop would be good aswell.

Take a look @ this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Laptop-Intel-Dual-Core-Windows-Upgrade/dp/B00SV72ZA2/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470008370&sr=1-7&keywords=laptop

Solution

Rue22

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

True enough, and luckily I have a ssd I'm not using lying around so might as well put it to use, thanks!

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

Just throw a 128GB SD card in the slot and call it a day :)

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Also be careful, not all chrome books use a standard 9/7mm SSD. Some might use a PCI-E or M.2 SSD. Better to use a SD card or one of those tiny UsB drives. I use one in one of my small machines and it works great.

My only beef with the really cheap Windows machines is that without an SSD, they feel really slow. I guess if you have a spare SSD, you could throw it in there.

nolimits76

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
I don't have any great solutions for you, but I would re-think the Chromebook. My issue is I hate how it forces you to depend on Google. As we all know, Google collects tons of personal data on their "free services". If you use Google for everything already, it's a moot point.

For those saying refurbished is bad, I will say my first laptop I bought was a Dell refurbished unit. Came with a great warranty and lasted almost 5 years. I had no issues and was able to afford more horsepower for a smaller budget, which was very important at the time. Obviously whom you buy from could be a factor. If it's a FACTORY refurbished unit from Lenova/IBM, you might be okay.