Good Video Format for Blu-ray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarus101

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
Hey Guys! I'm using Xilisoft Movie Converter in order to choose the best Video/Movie Format to run on my Blue-ray. I've made videos and now I want to choose the right file type. Does anyone know the best Blu-ray Video Format I can use? I've heard that H264 is excellent for Blu-ray, but will it play sound? And in order for H264 to be excellent, I have to buy actual Blu-Ray discs in order to burn the videos to the disc for excellent quality, or can I use standard DVD-R? And should I select 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720? Once I select the format, I will use Xilisoft DVD Burner to start burning it to a DVD and I have the option to set it as full screen and letter box. I don't want the Black Lines on the top and bottom, so which one will I have to select in order to avoid getting the Black Lines. I want a widespread display so I can successfully watch it with friends.

This is my first time and I have a limited amount of DVDs, so I don't want to waste them. Thanks!

Solution
If it's just videos you made, DVD quality should suffice. A Blu-ray burner and disks is going to be another $100. Unless your a professional in the biz, chances are your videos don't have many finite details to lose.

H.264 is the best encoding format around and should definitely be used in conjunction. You should keep the resolution the same as the source file. If your video is 1280 x 720 ( DVD quality) keep it at that. Adding extra pixels doesn't improve video quality and can cause artifacts.

For full screen vs letter box. Letter box will add black bars where needed so that the video fits the screen properly without cropping. Inverse of that, Full Screen will fill the screen with the video even though a portion of the picture...

sarus101

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

Okay, so when you usually play it on your Blu-ray, does it show the black lines at the top and bottom or is it widespread?

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
If it's just videos you made, DVD quality should suffice. A Blu-ray burner and disks is going to be another $100. Unless your a professional in the biz, chances are your videos don't have many finite details to lose.

H.264 is the best encoding format around and should definitely be used in conjunction. You should keep the resolution the same as the source file. If your video is 1280 x 720 ( DVD quality) keep it at that. Adding extra pixels doesn't improve video quality and can cause artifacts.

For full screen vs letter box. Letter box will add black bars where needed so that the video fits the screen properly without cropping. Inverse of that, Full Screen will fill the screen with the video even though a portion of the picture might be lost. If your video was shot in 4-3 than Full screen would cut off the top and bottom of the picture. Typically, a converter should be able to decide which option is needed but I guess the software you are using doesn't. Letter box is the best option to ensure nothing vital is cut out the of the picture.

Solution

sarus101

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

Okay sounds good. And for my final question, I was going to ask if I should select 1920 x 1080 or keep it as 1280 x 720? The reason I'm asking it because it gives me the options such as "Letterbox" and "Fullscreen". If I select letterbox with 16:9, will my Blu-ray automatically detect and make it Widespread, or do I have to select Full screen? I'm not getting any of these Aspect Ratio stuff and Screen Resolutions.

sarus101

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015

There is no way to make the whole thing fit my screen/widespread? The Blue-Ray movies that you buy from stores are going to have Black Lines too, or are they full screen, which cuts off a portion of the movie?

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Blu ray will have letter boxing for most monitors and TVs. You need an ultra-wide TV or monitor to view Blu-ray without the boxes. Can't say I would recommend that you get one just for viewing blu-ray though. I have an ultra wide and while viewing blu-ray without bars is nice, TV based content doesn't look quite as nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.