Goodsync leaving extra files?

Albino_BlacMan

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hi,
I use goodsync to back everything up to an external HDD. I've been doing this for about 3 months now. When I open it and analyse than sync it shows folders and stuff that it will delete (which is good). However folders that I sync No longer match in size. For example I have one folder titled "flac1" it has all my music in flac form. I sync it with another folder called "flac2" on the external HDD. I just did this about 3 minutes ago. However when I go to properties the "flac1 has a size of 86.9 GB and contains 4,460 Files, 340 Folders. "flac2" has a size of 100 GB and contains 5,060 Files, 409 Folders. Any help on whats going on here?

msilverfox333

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

----------

Hello Albino_BlacMan,

I will preface my reply by saying that in no way am I an expert on GoodSync nor do I have any connection to GoodSync other than the fact that I have been using it FOREVER and have spent a ton of money following their upgrades over the last few years. In fact you may already know what I am about to say. If so forgive me for my assumption.

GoodSync is an extremely powerful piece of software however the concomitant danger of that power is the ability to rearrange your data in ways that are not initially apparent or always helpful or intended. However, unless the user studies the manual and understands the various functions and the results of their operation it is generally best to let the default settings reign.

Having said that GoodSync saves copies of deleted/replaced files and folders in folders named _gsdata_ . Within the _gsdata_ folder is a folder named _history_. These folders (_gsdata_ and _history_) can become quite large over time especially if numerous changes, deletions, additions are made to large files and the copies are retained forever. The most minor change to a file or a file's name precipitates a copy of the "old" file or folder being retained.

In the General section of the jobs and settings window the user can select from many options regarding the number of versions and the length of time the copies are kept. Using these settings can reduce the size of the _gsdata_ and _history_ folders.

In the Advanced setting the user can customize this behavior to a certain extent such as electing to save no _gsdata_ folder. If one is doing one way source only synchronization then the user can opt to save the _gsdata_ folder in the receiving side and the GoodSync application data.

All of these options modifying the default behavior of GoodSync come with well taken cautions and admonitions to read the manual and fully understand the results and ramifications of choosing other than the default behavior. Speaking from experience these _gsdata_ folders can be invaluable as a last resort in recovering deletions made by mistake or inadvertence or misapprehension of the various functions of and within GoodSync. GoodSync is an extremely powerful piece of software however the concomitant danger of that power is the ability to rearrange your data in ways that are not initially apparent or always helpful or intended. The recent enhancements in granularity offer a much needed level of control. However, unless the user studies the manual and understands the various functions and the results of their operation it is generally best to let the default settings reign.