Google Attends EU Hearing Regarding Book Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
The EU seems to take every opportunity possible to steal from US companies. I say we just leave their market alone for a year and see what happens.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]webbwbb[/nom]I say we just leave their market alone for a year and see what happens.[/citation]
Do you have any idea of the demand for US products in the EU?
To "leave their market alone" would be to sacrifice tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars.
Also, it will only divert the demand to EU substitute providers, strengthening the competition of rivals based in the EU and thus forfeiting further hundreds of billions of dollars in the form of lost future sales.
Really stupid comment.

G

+1 bogcotton, incredibly stupid comment. The same people who object to US companies being "picked on" by the EU, are the same people who fail to see how Microsoft and Google outsourcing our tech jobs to India could possibly be a bad thing. Republican sheep and the people who herd them around...

G

+1 webbwbb, brilliant! Let's drive the trade deficit up even further by castrating the last of our exports, well done. *claps*

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Oh silly disputes why can't there be interesting stores that aren't just waiting to be/are blunders when it comes to politician and people of that sort.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I still dont' get what's that about.
So google miraculously gets rights on all books on this planet, that are not commercially available? Who gives them permission on that?

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
If the customer would only benefit from these "fights" and not just some corporations.Presumably I could understand why countries would opose this but Microsoft and Yahoo! fear that google might get something more to beat them with and Amazon fears losing "supremacy". ...Sigh...

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Google doesn't miraculously get rights on all books on the planet, they want to secure rights for out of print books and sell digitized copies - sending back their cuts to authors or copyright holders.

But, since they do that on a huge scale (instead of buying rights for one book at a time), this kind of deal requires careful examining - because they could effectively get a monopoly on all out of print books, harming consumers and copyright holders alike.

The hearing is for them to defend how this won't happen with the deals they want to make.

@webbwbb: yeah, right. I recommend you a book: 'economics for Dummies', chapter 2, 'why protectionism is suicide' (right after chaper 1, 'economics and commerce is the exchange of goods').

Status
Not open for further replies.