Google Blocks Local Content Streaming on Chromecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Seems Google is quick study of all other companies who are great at shooting themselves in the foot by not allowing people to use their bought devices as they want and generating negative PR by doing so.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Maybe its just me but for a person with a family, the ONLY use for this device was to watch videos from their PC. Home movies, youtube, etc. I am positive that a busy family is not going to be happy with you capitalizing the TV just to read webpages. Kids want to watch cartoons and such not to mention you have a monitor for doing that.

I can't see any other use for this device now that you can't stream things locally. AFAIK Xbox and PS3 have netflix.

Maybe I'm just exhausted and not seeing the picture but... I don't understand this move except maybe google trying to sell content in an already saturated market

DanAnd10

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Much better than Chromecast is Miracast TV -- which doesn't limit the content you display like Chromecast does, and a new Miracast HD Wireless adapter ($39) became available this week, which offers a lot more features and works much more like Apple's $100+ Airplay Wireless display technology --

One of the first U.S. sites to carry this new device is Tablet Sprint – worth checking out for this alone... and for a few new Android tablets to launch this month.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I'm glad I didn't buy one. I already have two Roku boxes and a PS3, but I was curious to see how this compares. So glad I didn't take the plunge.

G

See google this is why I don't trust you. My device is now useless, Can I get a refund or do I have to start a class action lawsuit?

MumblinBerk

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
OMG. Google... are you crazy? A big chunk of the VALUE of the device is (was) it's local streaming ability. Taking PR lessons from Micro$oft now, are we? Heck, why not put a proprietary cable on there, while you're at it. Way to alienate your customers.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I think you mean PR lessons from Sony, they are the ones that remove features after using them as a sales pitch and then sueing people that try to reinstate these features.

MS is the one that listened to customer complaints and attempted to fix them and got derided further for attempting to appease the masses.

But, ya know, I guess it is the cool thing to hate on MS these days.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Google never claimed to support the feature so don't expect a pat on the shoulder if you bought it. It was a modded in ability that was obviously going to be patched. Google wants to use it to sell pay services and it's own Google play content, just like Nexus. Bottom line, it's 35$, you get 35$ worth, which is about nothing. That's why better devices cost more kids.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
LordConrad - I also have two Rokus. Coupled with the Plex app, I've seen little reason to switch away from them as I can stream local as well as NetFlix/Hulu/Amazon.

This gizmo seemed cool at first, but not now. Roku forever, baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.