Google Brings Back Goats as Grass Mowers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they wanted the lawn fertalized they should have brought over Steve Jobs to talk about Apple customer support on their lawn, or maybe about how one half of a tablet PC is the greatest thing since the Segway.

Now look how nicely I turned this into an Apple thing. Just need someone make an Obama then a George Bush reference to make thing complete. Oh, and if anyone can find a way to twist a "God made the grass and who are we to interfere with His ways" comment into this, that would be great. Thanks.

andune

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I don't think Google did a google search about the effects livestock have on CO2 and methane emissions. If they did they would realize they are a far greater cause then a lawn mower. Although a lawnmower in use can produce alot of exahaust, it can be turned off. An animal on the other hand cannot be turned off on the fly. Its not like you can instantly grow 200 goats to eat the grass for you.Also I don't think Google is familar with farm life. Out of all the animals you could pick to eat the grass, the goat is one that is not only noisy but creates a really annoying sound.[/citation]

Methane production is moot. Since the animals were rented rather than being raised specifically for this purpose, they'd be producing the same gas elsewhere.

I'd be more inclined to question the choice of goats over, say, sheep. Goats are browsers rather than grazing animals, and prefer to eat shrubbery and other woody material rather than grass.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Heck I would keep one goat to mow my grass and get goats milk too but again the government tells me I can not have one where I live in the suburbs. Some free range chickens for eggs would be cool to0, fenced back yard.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I don't think Google did a google search about the effects livestock have on CO2 and methane emissions. If they did they would realize they are a far greater cause then a lawn mower. Although a lawnmower in use can produce alot of exahaust, it can be turned off. An animal on the other hand cannot be turned off on the fly.[/citation]

Grazing animals actually help lower emissions. It's the livestock that are force-fed preprocessed food that are bad for the environment.

Also, I don't understand you people who complain about anybody doing something to help the environment. What does it matter? Even if you don't believe in global warming or going green, its not like they're hurting you. It's like you guys were complaining about a person doing something nice for another person. Stop being so bitter.

G

What about the carbon footprint of trucking the goats in every week?

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zelog[/nom]But you can't slow-roast a lawnmower.[/citation]

Would a Google goat cook up as well as a Yahoo goat, or a Bing goat?

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Maybe they could use some of the money they save by not mowing to actually grow some green grass.

I do agree though.. No point paying a person to mow the grass if it ain't even green.

Status
Not open for further replies.