Google Brings Back Goats as Grass Mowers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]Can the goats play Crysis?[/citation]
Wow, it's hard to believe people can still semi-original with that question.
You put a huge smile on my face sir.

This is just yet another reason why I love Google.
I miss living in the country, goats are awesome.
I want a goat in the yard on my new place (even if if there's only 400-500 sq feet). They can be damned loud though.
Sheep are awesome too. I used to try and ride my uncle's sheep. I was very young... He also had llamas, I have no idea why.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]so they cut their grass only in spring? In florida we cut the grass weekly sometimes and monthly at the least. At my university they were using a mowing company and it cost them about 25k and took 1 day to cut 1/3rd of the campus.[/citation]

At my school they pretty much cut grass all summer long, huge campus, but with campus employees.

Sounds ridiculous to use a company

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]andune[/nom]Methane production is moot. Since the animals were rented rather than being raised specifically for this purpose, they'd be producing the same gas elsewhere.I'd be more inclined to question the choice of goats over, say, sheep. Goats are browsers rather than grazing animals, and prefer to eat shrubbery and other woody material rather than grass.[/citation]

Wow, you don't understand economics, huh? If people don't use the goats, they stop breeding them. You use them, you increase demand, you have more goats creating methane. It would appear from this article, that's what these goats are for, it's not a secondary purpose. So, using goats in this way does increase methane, which is far worse than Carbon Dioxide.

Not that I'm against carbon emissions at all. Maybe that's why people were put on this planet. I can't think of any other reason. The whole "green" movement is really confused. Plants LIKE carbon, they grow faster, and produce more food when there's more carbon dioxide in the air. And, they pull it out faster as well. Why this is considered "un-green" is bizarre to me. You not only speed up the rate they grow, you extend growing seasons as well.

Besides, who can define what's normal on a planet that's in constant change? How do you define the baseline? What would happen to life if carbon just kept getting buried? There will be problems, but, there are a lot upsides too. Plants are life, and they like Carbon Dioxide.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Wow, you don't understand economics, huh? If people don't use the goats, they stop breeding them. You use them, you increase demand, you have more goats creating methane. It would appear from this article, that's what these goats are for, it's not a secondary purpose. So, using goats in this way does increase methane, which is far worse than Carbon Dioxide.Not that I'm against carbon emissions at all. Maybe that's why people were put on this planet. I can't think of any other reason. The whole "green" movement is really confused. Plants LIKE carbon, they grow faster, and produce more food when there's more carbon dioxide in the air. And, they pull it out faster as well. Why this is considered "un-green" is bizarre to me. You not only speed up the rate they grow, you extend growing seasons as well. Besides, who can define what's normal on a planet that's in constant change? How do you define the baseline? What would happen to life if carbon just kept getting buried? There will be problems, but, there are a lot upsides too. Plants are life, and they like Carbon Dioxide.[/citation]

Bub you got it all wrong,
Goats will be there even if there is no demand for them cuz you know goats screw whether there is demand or not.

Don't give me the people breed them crap, if you live on a farm you know that you keep them together.

This one is for all the methane peeps, every living thing on land even people pass methane!!! Seems like you didn't know that.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]ugh...lawn full of goat droppings...NOT pleasant....[/citation]

That is only if you step in them. Goat and sheep droppings hardly smell bad. Their smells are easier to get used to than cattle, hogs, and/or poultry.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I'd much rather do this than care for my lawn. I hate grass. If I could get away with it, I'd pave over my entire lawn with green concrete.[/citation]
Me too.
Damned city bylaws that hate unmowed and weed infested lawns... At least my last place had hedges to hide the lawn, but I still had to trim the hedges because they blocked the sidewalk...

G

I think you guys don't see the full picture. Every goat arriving on Google campus gets a tube up their you know what which collects all the methane. The methane is then used to power a fuel cell that produces electricity which charges the batteries of Google's plug-in hybrids which are then used to haul the goats back and forth between Google campus and their farm. So you see this operation is all green. Well other than the goat poop, those are kind of brownish green. Oh and the goats, they are a mixture of colours but green is not one of them.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
[citation][nom]andune[/nom]I'd be more inclined to question the choice of goats over, say, sheep. Goats are browsers rather than grazing animals, and prefer to eat shrubbery and other woody material rather than grass.[/citation]
And there's your answer. :)

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
My father used to say that sheep and goats are not good for the grass since they pull it up by the roots and destroys the plants. Horses are more delicate cutting off the straws with their teeth.

Avenger762

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]Nah, they intend to do that with alien-pigs. with shotguns. And google will pay for shooting up my ride.[/citation]
In the meantime I'd like to say "Damn!, I'm looking good."

Status
Not open for further replies.