Google Chrome and Other Browser Pop-Up Problem

rsalzano

Estimable
May 2, 2015
So, a few days ago I started getting some major pop-up issues with google chrome. Almost every time I click a hyperlink or even randomly on the page by accident, a pop-up will come up in a new tab. The computer is running Windows 8.1. It's a fairly new machine, only a few months old, and I don't use it for anything promiscuous on the web. I also use AVG for security. I have already tried a few things, including doing AVG scans and general cleaning with CCleaner, but to no avail. I am hesitant to download other programs, because I don't want to get even more viruses from them. Also, I've checked and double checked my installed applications and the google chrome extensions and settings tab, and I can't find anything that's not supposed to be there. This problem is not unique to chrome however, as I am also experiencing pop-ups on Firefox, and also the steam web browser. Just in case though, I did try clearing all my chrome cookies, resetting the whole browser, and even uninstalling and re-installing, also with no luck. So, this leads me to believe that the pop-ups are indeed PC wide, but I don't know where to find the files so I can remove them. If anyone can help with this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

rsalzano

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Thank you so much! The AdBlock is actually working really well for chrome. However, it's still a recurring issue elsewhere, such as in my steam browser. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue for other programs? Or is AdBlock on the chrome the best I'm going to get? To be honest, though, it's not a huge deal in the steam browser, as I can always alt+tab or purchase steam games on chrome, but it would be nice just to get any malicious files off my system.

rsalzano

Estimable
May 2, 2015
Ok, so I've ran into another problem. When the popups do come up, adblock will block them, but it will freeze the webpage, so I can't click on anything. I've tried using multiple applications: TDSSKiller, AVG Scan + Protection, ESET Nod 32, and ADWCleaner, but none of them pick up on any corrupted files, or at least the files that are causing the problem. Is there anyway I can get these files directly off my PC without a total reset of windows?

jberry1643

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014

jberry1643

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
When I was having unwanted popups and (false security warnings) I found a file that I did not install named PCMATICPLUS and deleted it. My popup problem went away. Hope this helps.