Google Chrome auto-update work around?

xardej

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I know this is kind of a strange question, but the kind folks here have helped me with similar things when there nobody else could. Basically I loved the old google chrome, the one with the black bar across the top with all the apps and what not on it, but then google updated to it's current incarnation that I absolutely despise. The work around was to download an old version of google before the update, and then use the good administrative update template to disable auto updates so I could retain my favored version. However, as of today it appears this no longer works. Trying it several times with all possible google updates disabled, google still has its most current design without the black task bar at the top, even though chrome itself says it's still an older version that should be displaying said bar.

So I guess what I'm asking is do any of you fine folks know what this is happening, and if this method is no longer viable is there another way that I can retain an older form of google chrome?