Google chrome cannot change default search engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haiz02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I could not change my google chrome search engine because I somehow downloaded a "virus" or something that made me not being able to change the search engine. Ive tried searching the virus using malwarebytes and windows defender and it couldnt find the virus. Somehow the search engine has be set to chromesearch.today . Ive tried reinstalling chrome, resetting and even using the chrome cleanup tool and still wouldnt able to change the default search engine. Please help me!

Haiz02

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

It worked! thanks man

jackseb0056

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Hi, I had encountered a same problem, but my default search engine is chromesearch.info. I tried Malwarebytes, Spybot, Zoek, Windows Defender, and also the link u provided. Malwarebytes and Spybot does detected something like trojan.agent and I removed it, but still I can't change my default search engine back to google. Please help

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
@jackseb0056 - This sounds like adware (not necessarily malware) but it is definitely annoying!

Resetting your Chrome browser settings to default should resolve the issue.

The trojan you detected may have had nothing to do with the search bar adware, so I'd be more concerned that the system is not compromised in some other way. If you have backups to restore from, this may be a good idea, and of course have protectionin place moving forward to prevent future threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.