Google Chrome can't connect to proxy server and I can't change LAN settings. What do I do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCARVER

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Recently, Google Chrome and IE have been unable to connect to the proxy server. I tried to change the LAN settings but was unable to. How do I fix this?

Solution
I've also got the same problem and I was able to fix it on my own.
Just follow the steps I did:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click Menu on the upper right side. Beside the STAR symbol (Bookmark).
3. Click Show Advanced Settings.
4. Scroll down and find Network.
5. Click Change proxy settings.
6. On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
7. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
8. Then click OK.

Hope it helps .

SayWhat20

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
I was having the same problem with the LAN settings kept reverting back to being checked. This is what worked for me. I looked in my installed programs for anything suspicious. I found a program called "Browser Security" which somehow got installed in August and don't remember installing it myself. I removed the program and the LAN proxy server box has remained unchecked, as it should be.

Hopefully this will work for anyone still experiencing frustrations. Good luck.

ItsAdamTheHDGamer

Estimable
Aug 24, 2014

Try using another browser. It could be Chrome playing up.

BradleyWhiting

Estimable
Oct 22, 2014
I tried all of this, but the thing that worked for me was downloading a new version of java. everything worked as if I had java, but it wasn't in my programs list for me to remove. So I went to the java website, downloaded and installed it and instantly my proxy box was unchecked and hasn't changed now in 5 hours.

hstansberry

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014

This worked perfectly!

juano101

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
I tried all the posted fixes and the only one that worked for me was the post by "Icylove". I did the fallowing:

1. Right click on Google Chrome and make sure you run As Administrator. (this also fixed IE)
2. Click Menu on the upper right side. Beside the STAR symbol
3. Click on Settings.
4. Click on “ Show Advanced Settings”
5. Scroll down and find Network.
6. Click on “Change proxy settings”.
7. On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
8. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
9. Check “ Automatically detect settings”
10. Then click OK.

On some installations, changing this setting requires you to do it as Administrator otherwise it keeps reverting back

Hope this helps

dazdaz1

Estimable
Oct 28, 2014
Thank you it helped yessssssss

Nen Xi

Estimable
Oct 30, 2014
Open Internet Options, select advanced instead of Connections, and choose 'reset'. It will solve the problem that you cannot make changes on Proxy setting.

Mike James

Estimable
Nov 4, 2014

If this is still an issue for anyone, if the proxy box in lan settings won't let you uncheck it simply right click chrome and hit "run as administrator" then go to the lan settings and all should work out

Tohst

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

I have the same problem. I uncheck the box but right afterwards I go back in and it's checked again.

Jamie Bevan

Estimable
Nov 6, 2014
I have the same Problem however I do believe I know the route to the problem.

This occurred this morning after I stopped a spybot search on boot up where I wa told some elements were not delt with in the scan. Searching through this thread the file 'Wajam' has occurred a few times.

Upon running my spybot again 'wajam' has been found as infected into my Pc.

Removing this malware fixed the issue.

I was also having the problem where unchecking the lan setting would work for 10 seconds only for the box to reset again! Did this both in normal and in admin settings.

Remove and find the malware!

Hope this helps

Nov 9, 2014

Run Chrome as Administrator, Then you will be able to change the settings. Save it and browse through internet :)

RodRam

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014

this worked for me too, I think. I can access the Internet now, but I have to run all of my stuff as Admin or it won't open. Working on seeing if I can fix that part permanently. But thanks! I was really getting frustrated, and your tip was the only one that let me in.

adriana greenberg

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi, Everyone:

This morning after my laptop running Windows 8 got installed with some updates and I was unable to use IE and Chrome. I followed some of the solutions described on this post and it worked.

1) Removed the Windows update mentioned above
2) Ran IE and Chrome as an administrator and cleared out the proxy numbers and uncheck the checkbox.

Thank you all for posting your solutions.
AG

jboman

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014

jboman

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Didn't work on my computer. Every time I uncheck the "use proxy server" box it automatically gets checked again. My computer got infected 2 days ago. My operating sytem is Windows 8.1. Any other suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.