Google Chrome can't connect to proxy server and I can't change LAN settings. What do I do?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCARVER

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Recently, Google Chrome and IE have been unable to connect to the proxy server. I tried to change the LAN settings but was unable to. How do I fix this?

Solution
I've also got the same problem and I was able to fix it on my own.
Just follow the steps I did:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click Menu on the upper right side. Beside the STAR symbol (Bookmark).
3. Click Show Advanced Settings.
4. Scroll down and find Network.
5. Click Change proxy settings.
6. On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
7. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
8. Then click OK.

Hope it helps .
G

What I did first was remove all the malware with Malwarebytes and then followed with adwcleaner, which found some things MBAM had missed. I then checked Programs from the Start Menu and noticed some programs that weren't showing in Programs and Features. They had Uninstall links so I used them to remove the programs. After that I started IE (Run as Administrator: right click Internet Explorer > Run As Administrator) and then changed the proxy settings.

Aidan Donnelly

Estimable
Jan 14, 2015
I had the same problem but then somebody here said that they uninstalled a program that seemed suspicious and it worked afterwards.
I tried the same thing, uninstalling Rocket Tab and everything seems fine as of now

Momcat

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
You are absolutely correct. but here's what happens after I do that: The settings were saved, I hit OK, and then as soon as I do that they apparently revert back to the proxy server settings! I go back in and check, and lo and behold they're back as if I hadn't changed them! I've tried numerous times. So when I said "i can't" change the settings, that's what I meant. I can't figure out why it's doing that and how to stop it. I'm not sure "who" is even responsible for it! It's quite a mystery! (to me).

psychogroupie

Estimable
Jan 17, 2015

This worked for me. I didn't know why I had wajam or what it was for and how I actually installed it on my computer but once I uninstalled it, my Lan connection went back to normal and I can browse again. Thanks a lot! I've been having this problem for a week already.

SethyG123

Estimable
Jan 19, 2015

How do you start in safe mode? Where are the proxy server boxes? Every time I try and uncheck the use a proxy server box and go to google chrome, the internet works on the first page, but when I go to another page the message pops up again and I can't do anything. It keeps re-checking the box and nothing has worked.

QuestionAnswer

Estimable
Jan 24, 2015

The settings button does not let me click what do i do?

caliciferwolf

Estimable
Jan 25, 2015
For anybody, I was super confused and could not find it myself but I had a breakthrough which allowed me to revert it, you go to settings advanced settings and click proxy settings and it should pull up internet properties, from there you click LAN Settings and go into advanced and delete everything in those boxes and save, say ok to the warning message and then exit out and click on Auto Detect settings, I hope this helps you (as a string of malware downloaded on my mothers desktop)

Touraynr

Estimable
Jan 28, 2015

Did you get a solution? I have same problem, keep u checking Lan proxy box but it's still there! Can't get in IE or Chrone!! Help

yansielee

Estimable
Jan 29, 2015

I've checked many sites and most are stating the option to disable the proxy via browser. Unfortunately, all my browsers would not work b/c my system was setup as a proxy server (figure that!). I have Windows 8.1 and within the PC settings there is the option to setup proxy server under Network. Swipe top right corner for Windows Settings -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Network -> Proxy -> Automatic Proxy Settings. You will find the global settings for all your browsers. I had to turn off the Automatic proxy configuration Setup and Manual Proxy Setup in Safe Mode but you may have better luck without doing so. If switching off the "Automatic Detect Settings" grays out the save button, then turn on "Use Automatic Configuration Script" leaving the box blank and click save. This should turn off both settings. If the save button turns gray when the "Manual Proxy Setting" tick is moved to off, then remove the information in "Address" box and click save. This should turn the settings off. Now check all browsers for internet connection. As a note: I scanned my system with several anti-virus programs and searched for rogue programs but found none. I suspect it was Netbalancer since it operate as a proxy in my case. Always scan your systems after suspicious activities on you system. Hope this helps.

RSK13

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Trust me this worked for mine, go into safe mode (hold shift while clicking restart, troubleshoot, and enter safe mode) go into control panel and delete anything suspicious that may have caused it. Then go into internet explorer and go to settings button and go into internet options, connections and deselect use proxy. Then shutdown your computer and turn it back on. I hope this helped it worked for me, but I don't know if you have to enter safe mode but it worked when I did that.

Xelene

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Thanks so much!!

Guillian Agustin

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
In internet explorer
1. Open "internet explorer"
2. Click "setting" on the upper right
3. Click "internet options"
4. Go to "connections"
5. Click "LAN setting"
6. Check only "automatically detect settings"
7. Click okay. problem solved.

Scotboy

Estimable
Feb 12, 2015
Im no techhie and my Sony Xperia went weird for a month drove me crazy as could web browse without wifi, I found a setting tab that said 'download internet and mms settings' I clicked this it was instantly fixed, thanks.

Linzi123

Estimable
Feb 14, 2015

I have been tryin for days to sort this and deleting this wajam worked!!!! Thank u

Status
Not open for further replies.