Google Chrome can't connect to proxy server and I can't change LAN settings. What do I do?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCARVER

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Recently, Google Chrome and IE have been unable to connect to the proxy server. I tried to change the LAN settings but was unable to. How do I fix this?

Solution
I've also got the same problem and I was able to fix it on my own.
Just follow the steps I did:
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Click Menu on the upper right side. Beside the STAR symbol (Bookmark).
3. Click Show Advanced Settings.
4. Scroll down and find Network.
5. Click Change proxy settings.
6. On the Connections tab, click LAN settings.
7. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN."
8. Then click OK.

Hope it helps .

cristysoh

Estimable
Dec 13, 2014
This worked. Thank you!

i had the same issue. whenever i try to search anything in google and i could not open change LAN setting in chrome , i used to get same error. Now, U all need to do is OPEN internet explorer, go to <tools> then <internet options> then click on <connections> then you will find many buttons , Click on <settings(not LAN setting)> now a window will pop up, there check ONLY on the "automatically detect settings". then click "ok".
now to be sure go to LAN setting , there also same window pops up. and make sure you check ONLY "automatically detect settings" and leave rest blank..
click okay . now go to chrome or IE and check out, if it works for you , don't forget to thank me and if you still have an issue , let me know.[/quotemsg]

ComputerTronic

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
My solution was so simple that i could not believe it my self after searching the web for almost an hour of reading forums was a simple as right click Internet Explorer> Run as Administrator> go to internet options> Connections> Lan Settings> Un tick use a proxy server for your Lan and tick on Automatically detect settings on top click ok and apply if available and restart Internet Explorer. Should work fine worked here well.

101Beginner

Estimable
Dec 18, 2014

Can unclicking 'use a proxy server' cause any security issues?

Emily 1

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
None of the above worked for me as everytime I did anything it just changed back as soon as I left internet options.
What I did:
do into google chrome as administrator
go into proxy settings
go into lan settings
into advanced settings
then delete all the numbers in the boxes and a message will appear asking you if you want to turn off proxy
click yes
hope this helps

Kaitlin Wingerter

Estimable
Dec 20, 2014

How do you put it in safe mode tho? I've tried everything and nothing works . Including trying to run as administrator

Wendy S

Estimable
Dec 23, 2014
Run Chrome as an administrator and go to change proxy settings, click advanced, delete all the numerals in the boxes (you might have to hit delete a couple of times), hit OK, it will ask if you're sure, say yes, then select "automatically detect settings" on the main box, click ok, That should do it.

Caecilius

Estimable
Dec 27, 2014
hi I don't know whether you solved this but none of the above worked so I went to setting to the network lan settings and untucked the box! Then on the same page I deleted the address above and pressed on twice! It worked for me!

SxxyMamii

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014

THANK YOU!! it was drivin me crazy ;)

dogpatchwv

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
After a few weeks trying to resolve the LAN setting I found a program called TeamView9 that had installed somehow and was locking the LAN checkmark on. Since then I have found that someone else had a program called Browser Security that was preventing them from removeing the check on LAN. To remove TeamView9 you must go to the system tray first and exit the program. (cannot believe I had not noticed it on the system tray before). After it has stopped running then I unstalled it. It will give you warnings that you should not uninstall but do it. My LAN check mark was gone immediately.

G

And have you all wondered why a proxy server would be in there in the first place? There are three main reasons why a proxy server would be added to your browser's LAN settings. You either put it there yourself, in which case you would know and be able to delete it, or it's been put there by malware, or in other cases, some programs will do this, but the most likely suspect is definitely malware...

In the following case, it was RocketTab, which was removed easily with AdwCleaner:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1139472-lan-settings-being-changed-back.html

Using CurrPorts helps to identify the process that may be using the port you're seeing inside your LAN settings.

transformers

Estimable
Jan 2, 2015
Goto chrome settings ->show advanced settings ->Network ->click on change proxy settings->click on Advanced tab

click on the reset button under advanced tab, it will ask for a conformation , again click on reset tab

it will reset proxy settings of all browsers.
you can now normally use your internet

Hope this will work

G

It will only work if there's no program or malware putting the proxy server back in automatically...

G

I have answered:

And have you all wondered why a proxy server would be in there in the first place? There are three main reasons why a proxy server would be added to your browser's LAN settings. You either put it there yourself, in which case you would know and be able to delete it, or it's been put there by malware, or in other cases, some programs will do this, but the most likely suspect is definitely malware...

In the following case, it was RocketTab, which was removed easily with AdwCleaner:

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/1139472-lan-settings-being-changed-back.html

Using CurrPortshelps to identify the process that may be using the port you're seeing inside your LAN settings.

Inside your LAN settings, can you tell me what number you see for port?

Next, download the free CurrPorts. No installation required. Simply run the executable file.

Make sure your browser is open before running the program.

If you see that particular port in the list, please copy the whole line(s) and paste it into your next reply. To copy, right-click and select "Copy Selected Items".

nielc

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015

I attempted to use this method but after I uncheck the 'Use as a proxy server' box and delete all of the text in the proxy server boxes, the 'Apply' button becomes greyed out. After doing this, even if I check the 'Automatically detect settings' box and click OK I am still unable to connect to the internet and if I open up the settings again 'Apply' is still greyed out.

Maybe I have a registry issue, as you mentioned, and if so do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

Beyond that I'm wondering if I may have some type of malware that's preventing me from connecting to the internet....

DormantIdeas NIQ

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

BAD ADVICE, all it does is disable your proxy - opens up MASSIVE security and privacy issues.

Becky Beck

Estimable
Jan 11, 2015

I was looking for help to fix my issue, and I am extremely grateful that you had this posted. Did what you said to and problem solved.....Thanks a bunch!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.