Google Chrome Suddenly Slow

ShadowsFury

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
So I have an MSI GE62 laptop and I really only use Chrome as my browser. Suddenly (as of the past week or so), when I first open Chrome (whether it be as soon as I start my laptop or if it has been running something else before I go to Chrome), it loads very slow. I can search as usual as soon as Chrome opens (fairly quick there), but the slow part is Chrome loading the frequently visited tabs on the main screen. I haven't updated any drivers during this time, nor any other non-windows updates. I haven't installed any other software since. A virus isn't a possibility and no Chrome add-ons have been added.

I would get if Chrome had been slowing over time, but this is a matter of one day it was fine, the next day, it takes over a minute to load the frequently visited (before as soon as Chrome opened, the frequently visited would show instantly). After I let the frequently visited tabs load the first time, I can open Chrome later on and it'll load as fast as normal. It is just the first time that has slowed to a crawl.

If any clarification is required, feel free to ask and I'll respond ASAP!
Thanks in advance!

Well, if you visited somewhere that added a lot of junk, or even added something that would cause the browser to constant access something (without you knowing) then that would cause this problem. Malware, spyware, adware, etc., can all also cause this.

My suggestion would be to first clear out your browser. The cache, history, etc. Just be sure you save anything you want/need first. Then, once done with that, run some good antivirus software and also software to check for malware, adware, spyware, etc. Something more than Microsoft security essentials. It will take a few programs to do all the scanning.

Then reboot. If that doesn't resolve it, then you may want to use system restore to restore the computer to its state before this happened. Just choose a restore point that is prior to start of the problem.

ShadowsFury

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016

I haven't visited any sites out of the ordinary that I haven't been consistent with (really just the occasional youtube and some pages from my college and its resources, and now Tom's Guide haha). I have cleared cache/history/others in that section, tried checking with AVG and Essentials. I'm reluctant to clear my laptop as I just have too much stuff on here (haven't had the need to since I got it 2yrs ago).

What I'm wondering is how would something like that only affect the first start of Chrome and only the frequently visited section, everything else and every open afterwards runs perfectly normal. No other issues with any other programs.

Your history and cache are something that can make it slower. If not cleared out regularly. Also, if there are any add-ons.

I would suggest checking the startup options to see what programs are loading when Windows loads (not the startup folder), but since you said it is only chrome, I doubt that would be the reason.

ShadowsFury

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
Yea, I even tried clearing everything from the beginning of time. And no extensions at all.
I'll try other browsers to see if its the same problem with them (Chrome is main and very rarely IE and Edge, so I'll pay more attention to see how they are).

ShadowsFury

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
So not sure what happened, think there was an update last night, maybe something to do with it?
But it works fine again now. Other browsers worked fine as well, didn't have any issue like it.

Suppose worst case scenario, I wait out the minute if I really need a site from frequents, but most likely if it happens, I'll use another browser as a temporary.

Feb 24, 2018

i had the same problem for days and was so surprised as to how simple the solution is. open chrome settings, scroll all the way down to system and click on proxy settings. a window will pop up, click on connections tab then click on LAN settings. uncheck the box for "automatically detect settings". restart chrome.

Apr 30, 2018
I had the same problem. Tried clearing cache and history etc. with no help. Then I went under Chrome settitngs, show advanced settings, and unchecked "Use hardware acceleration when available." That fixed the problem for me.