Google Details GPU Acceleration for Chrome 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Browsers are getting too advanced, imo. I don't know, I'm fine with just using my browser to... browse. I've never run into any "performance" issues with Firefox or Chrome.

jplarson

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
As hardware manufacturers are putting the GPU and CPU together on the same die, software devs are getting the discrete GPU to take some of the load off the CPU.

Reminds me of a comic that shows two trucks full of lumber passing each other on a highway.

hunter315

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
It works for the Canary build too but doesnt fare so well for most of the tests, hopefully they will improve its performance quite a bit before it goes live, its got potential but its a bit disappointing at the moment.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Well it sounded like a good idea at first, then I got closer to the end of the article. Knowing Google they'll churn out a spectacular product by the time they are done.
Now if they can just get a Chrome browser on my Android. (Or if I can get a Firefox, Fennec, that doesn't just FC)

G

@slickyfats, The stock browser in Android 2.2 has some of the same guts as Chrome, mainly the Javascript engine.

drhenks

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Omniblivion[/nom]Finally! Tom's will be able to start benchmarking 480's vs 5870's using Farmville! (lol?)[/citation]
Curse you sir, curse you. But yes - lol.

G

I still haven't forgiven Chrome for "Oops, this link appears to be broken". I'm still gun shy.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Omniblivion[/nom]Finally! Tom's will be able to start benchmarking 480's vs 5870's using Farmville! (lol?)[/citation]

This can allready be tested without the need of browser GPU acceleration. All of the popular facebook games utilise Adobe Flash as the prefered platform and as of release 10.4 flash has GPU render support ect. When i run firefox using flash ect a seperate executable runs handling the flash via GPU.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Browsers are getting too advanced, imo. I don't know, I'm fine with just using my browser to... browse. I've never run into any "performance" issues with Firefox or Chrome.[/citation]

Lots of software companies want to move away from the desktop software model into a more web based software model because they see it as easier and cheaper.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Microsoft Internet Explorer 60.01% Firefox 24.24% Chrome 7.00% Safari 4.78% Opera 2.33% ...yeah....we can stop talking about Chrome now. It will never come close to FF let alone IE. If you know how to setup your browser properly you don't need GPU "acceleration". Just a bunch of BS anyway.[/citation]

i bet that thats not the same as the %'s on this site. 60% of the worl use IE because its pre-installed and they know no better, chrome is so young yet already has 7% share, no other browser has a higher adoption rate so ofcourse its going to be covered. I bet theres loads of people on this site that use chrome to browse

and yes i am one of them

NeeKo

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I love chrome since I installed it I ditched firefox (Used it for years) , it got too slow and crappy on time. About IE, well, what can I say , 60% of the people is simply retarded and doesnt care, the ones who pay a bit of attention or like a bit to have good things will switch immediatly.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Wow! Soon expect a flood of buggy browsers: starting with IE 9 :D
I wonder how long will it take to fix these new rendering engines after the initial release? 6 months - 1 year - 2 years?

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Look what IE9 Platform Preview unleashed. A whole wave of GPU-accelerated browsers![/citation]

Actually the introduction of the new APIs that came along with DirectX 11 and Win7 have allowed that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.