Google Earth Typhoid Reveal Disease Outbreak Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]s997863[/nom]If they went ahead and did the research anyway using G-Earth or some other tool, does that mean they broke the law??[/citation]

What are you talking about? Read the article again. Slower.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
While this is great that Google Earth is expanding further into the GIS arena, this is by no means an innovation. People have been using Google Earth in this manner for quite a while now. Geospatial Information Systems have always allowed the collection and analysis of remotely sensed data from way back in the days of WW1 when they took reconnaissance photos from hot air balloons. Maps have also been used to track the spread of disease in order to infer the disease's root since as early as the 1700s.

Basically, all im saying is that the phrase "British researchers have found a new way to track the spread of diseases in locations that lack traditional mapping support" is grossly inaccurate.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
I would have to agree that tracking a disease is nothing new. However it is good to read that Google Earth is able to serve a useful purpose.

G

That is the most poorly worded headline i have ever seen. Does tom's not have an editor?

How about "Google Earth Reveals Typhoid Outbreak's Secrets"

G

These "scientists" must be newbs. Have they not heard of GIS?
arcMAP FTW!
How the hell are u going to manage and analyze data with GE?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I would have to agree that tracking a disease is nothing new. However it is good to read that Google Earth is able to serve a useful purpose.[/citation]

Google earth serves a useful purpose, type in "Where's Waldo"

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.