Google Files for Patent for ''SpeedBook'' Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Lets see what's comes out from this.
Although I can't deny that my interest has been driven to Microsoft's tablet project lately.
BUT if the price is good and the thing works it might be interesting to see Google fighting Microsoft/Linux/Mac for a small cut of the netbook/tablet market.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
They are going to target the low income world market. Remember the campaign to give every student in the world a low cost PC? The biggest barrier was the operating system and its hardware requirements. The advantage that Google has over Microsoft is that MS would have made their money in the selling of the device itself. Google will make money by practically giving the device away and thereby increasing the value of all the other web services they sell, or increased advertising revenues.

darkbunny

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Wasn't the Nexus One technically an HTC phone? I mean, they did all the manufacturing and Google just ordered shipments from them so they could sell the phone directly.

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Google did release a netbook so that hardware manufacturers would know exactly what Google wanted in netbooks running the OS. That's basically what the purpose of the N1 was (although obviously with Android), as stated by Google.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]The advantage that Google has over Microsoft is that MS would have made their money in the selling of the device itself. Google will make money by practically giving the device away and thereby increasing the value of all the other web services they sell, or increased advertising revenues.[/citation]
The problem I see with that is that advertising to people that can't afford a computer is probably not very lucrative (since they have almost no disposable income). Still even if they only get a small amount it would be a good way to increase the market presence around the world.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Motamedn wrote: "I wonder how it would work if Google took an Apple approach to things and built the hardware side in-house."

Actually, Apple doesn't build anything in-house. Their products are built for them in China.

myriad46

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]The problem I see with that is that advertising to people that can't afford a computer is probably not very lucrative (since they have almost no disposable income). Still even if they only get a small amount it would be a good way to increase the market presence around the world.[/citation]

I'd wonder if your assumption is true. Can people who buy netbooks not afford a computer? People that I know that have netbooks have too much disposable income that they needed a toy, and others just wanted a couch email machine and not a while laptop, but not because they couldn't afford it. Good question though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]myriad46[/nom]I'd wonder if your assumption is true. Can people who buy netbooks not afford a computer? People that I know that have netbooks have too much disposable income that they needed a toy, and others just wanted a couch email machine and not a while laptop, but not because they couldn't afford it. Good question though.[/citation]
I wasn't referring to netbooks in general. The earlier part of his comment was about how they can sell them dirt cheap in really poor countries and make up the hardware loss through advertising revenue. My issue is that really poor people aren't really worth a lot to advertisers (I'm assuming anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.