Google is Really Disappointed with App Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Saw that one coming. Surprise: people who try to save money by not buying an iPhone, also save money by not purchasing apps.

Seriously though, jump on the iTunes app store - most paid apps out there are worthless, and devs just hope that people don't care about 99 cents.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Sorry to say this but Google either needs to patrol the waters more often or close up the system specs for hardware. This app works on this phone but not on this phone and only partially works on this phone... There are some great free android apps and some good fee apps but this example is why apple wins in this department (and to an extent Microsoft), you must be able to provide all features of a platform, or at least make a distinction of which phone can run which features (tables only confuse this matter more).

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Exactly the reason why I stopped developing my app on the Android, but still continue to develop it on the iPhone. Even though I prefer the Android, 93% of my profit came from the iTunes App Store, while only 7% came from the Android store. Just didn't become worth it to continue developing for the Android.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Not really surprising. I mean hell, I'll deal with the ads, no reason for me to purchase an app and there's only a few apps I really use enough to justify having.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... Tuesday i had a aPad to repair... it waz android based... so it waz my first encounter with android based device to repair... so... i waz disappointed too... android helped to spawn many good devices... but... it also spawned a $#it load of cr@ppy devices, like aPad... so... it seems, that the android based installbase is big... but most of iz on cr@ppy devices...

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... Tuesday i had a aPad to repair... it waz android based... so it waz my first encounter with android based device to repair... so... i waz disappointed too... android helped to spawn many good devices... but... it also spawned a $#it load of cr@ppy devices, like aPad... so... it seems, that the android based installbase is big... but most of iz on cr@ppy devices...[/citation]

/joke??

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I personally think the market place works well enough. However, Google are being retarded by thinking they can earn money like Crapple with it, simply because of the already mentioned "open-source" thing...They just looked at apple and were like "ZOMG, look how much money they are making off their zombie followers!!!! We need to do that too!" ...problem is...Android has intelligent users, proven by the fact that their is almost always an alternative free/ad-based app around, which is then preferred to the paid one.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'm spoiled by the amount of excellent free software on the PC. Sure it's worth paying for Photoshop, MS Office, 3ds max and the like that but for simpler stuff there is excellent free software everywhere. The thing with phones is every app is simple stuff and enthusiasm of developers who give away their work for free is enough for most people to not be interested in apps they have to pay for.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
id love the OVI store on Nokia to haw clear markers cuss some apps or programs dont work for each individual phones and most dont ewer clear out whot phone works for whot app. you simply has to be in luck some poor dude before you with the same phone tryed it out and read his comment.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
There are a few games i have paid for on the marketplace, but as everyone keeps saying, there are very good free equivalents of many of the premium apps you see on the marketplace.

Google should really be pleased as it is living up to the open-source why-pay-when-you-can-have-it-for-free MO.

G

Until now Google has done everything they could to favour ads/free apps. Afterall thats their business. Their undoing may be that developers wont stay with them unless its worthwhile. For most it has not been worthwhile.

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I think people will start buying more apps with more tablets on the market.
So far, on a phone, I fail to see the need for an app on such a small screen.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Android has too many pirates, too many fragmented OS versions, is too slack in its approach. Until then I cant be bothered coding my apps for Android.

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
If you want me to program nice apps, on a limited resource environment, I'm using C derived programming languages. Otherwise i'm severly limited by poor java like memory managment and fragmentation becomes an issue i cannot scale with. So no, Bad Google, Bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.