Google Legally Going After YouTube MP3 Rippers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]mmmmmmm32[/nom]Listening to music on youtube is ridiculous. You might as well plug a set of headphones into a potato.[/citation]

I believe I shall create a T-Shirt out of this! hahaha

G

I pay for my bandwidth not google,if they wantme to see their ads then payme for that....oh wait they do by allowing me to see their videos and data mining all i do when on or off- line....so we are even....

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Youtube contains alot of user uploaded music, ect, that was ripped from dvd, cd's, lp's old vcr tapes ect. So how can youtube complain someone is stealing their "stolen content" anyway?

Thankfully they are much better artist driven sites like this one i found.
http://www.reverbnation.com/themightyshortbus
The song "Lawyers and Their Money" about says it all.

some others...
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackhorserevival
http://www.reverbnation.com/christinamariemagenta

The amount of artists on this site is insane.
http://www.reverbnation.com/main/browse

Yes some of the videos are actually still hosted on youtube.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jediagh[/nom]@a victim?Why back in the mid 70s and 80s was it OK to use a tape recorder put it next to the radio and when the song you wanted came on you could record it onto your tape and then hear it and your leaisure **WITHOUT** having to buy the song from a store on cassette tape?That same concept is what is occuring now with YouTube expect instead of the radio airwaves it's being streamed digititall via the internet.[/citation]

Back in the mid 70s and 80s, if you copied music, you are physically prevented from sharing the music across the globe.

Today, you can copy music, upload it, and watch millions of visitors flock to your website.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
[citation][nom]a victim[/nom]No you do NOT have the right to de-scramble and steal product. It is criminal and there are prosecutions. When you steal product, it increases the price for everyone else. Same as those that shoplift or file fraudulent insurance claims. It also means that we all have to deal with more and more protection mechanisms. Once upon a time, we didn't have to lock our homes. The fact that we do know is not the fault of the home-owners, it is the fault of the criminals.It appears that you have zero respect for the property rights of others.[/citation]

Yep, our politicians, our political system and the Federal Reserve teach us all we need to know about morality. You never see them stealing $trillions from the public purse. :/

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]batkerson[/nom]Hey, Tom's, how about finding a better pirate picture for future articles. This guy looks like a stoner in a $5 Halloween costume.[/citation]

Shame on you!!! That is Patchy the Pirate from Spongebob Squarepants, one of the more famous pirates of the younger generation.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]capt_taco[/nom]way to go Google. Do nothing evil.[/citation]

Last I checked, telling people that Google will not condone digital piracy on their own site anymore is not evil. If Google doesn't want their site to be a tool for illegal activity, then that is their choice and really... How is it wrong for them to do this? What right do any of us have to take what isn't ours?

I'm not some fool who thinks that software piracy is really stealing, but the two are similar concepts despite the two not sharing a meaning and Google is doing something that should be done. If people think that there is no punishment for illegally downloading media that they're supposed to pay for, then they are more likely to commit the crime. Google is saying that they won't tolerate people illegally using Google's property for digital piracy and they have every right to do so.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
JDownloader captures youtube URLs and resolves all the various quality levels and formats in one go (very nice feature). My problem with this is that I beleive that if a copyright owner distributes a music video\audio file via services such as youtube they are essentially giving it to you.

Think of it along the lines of a tv or radio broadcast. I can record them for playback multiple times if I like and are the copyright holders going to take legal action on me for using my DVR, I think not. Just because youtube has no offline mode it doesn't mean to say that anything that gets around that fact is illegal but rather it is a case of 'they don't like it' because they are under some pressure from copyright holders to take action especially as youtube now wants to start to really make money and move away from the 'free' usage state it has enjoyed for so long.

When it comes to how files are taken from youtube, them stating doing so is 'forbidden' doesn't make it illegal it just gives you a picture in your mind of them wagging their finger at you. If the files are obtained via their own API then that is their fault and they need to make it so the files can't be accessed that way (until someone works around that method and they have to reinvent the wheel) otherwise I kind of see that someone is potentially hacking if they use some other not-afforded by the youtube API method of accessing the files.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]Stop putting the videos on Youtube if you don't want people to have access to them.[/citation]

[citation][nom]kdw75[/nom]If I go out in public, ie the internet, and start singing then anyone has a right to videotape me. If you don't like it then don't do it in a publicly accessible area.[/citation]

You're on the internet. Is it okay for me to now do a little hacking and such in order to screw you over just because I can? Being given the opportunity to do something does not give you the right to do it. Furthermore, Google isn't trying to stop people from accessing legal videos and such. Google is trying to stop people from abusing the site for illegal digital piracy.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]dizzy_davidh[/nom]JDownloader captures youtube URLs and resolves all the various quality levels and formats in one go (very nice feature). My problem with this is that I beleive that if a copyright owner distributes a music video\audio file via services such as youtube they are essentially giving it to you.Think of it along the lines of a tv or radio broadcast. I can record them for playback multiple times if I like and are the copyright holders going to take legal action on me for using my DVR, I think not. Just because youtube has no offline mode it doesn't mean to say that anything that gets around that fact is illegal but rather it is a case of 'they don't like it' because they are under some pressure from copyright holders to take action especially as youtube now wants to start to really make money and move away from the 'free' usage state it has enjoyed for so long.When it comes to how files are taken from youtube, them stating doing so is 'forbidden' doesn't make it illegal it just gives you a picture in your mind of them wagging their finger at you. If the files are obtained via their own API then that is their fault and they need to make it so the files can't be accessed that way (until someone works around that method and they have to reinvent the wheel) otherwise I kind of see that someone is potentially hacking if they use some other not-afforded by the youtube API method of accessing the files.[/citation]

On youtube, people are giving you the ability to experience something through that site, not the ability to claim youtube files as your own and do with them whatever you want to. Furthermore, many videos on youtube aren't posted by the copyright holder of the material being posted anyway. Heck, most probably aren't.

zaperbaby123

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
here's something interesting I thought of when I listen to a song I can recall the song from memory am I breaking copyright by recalling the song from the memory in my brain?
next thing you know the recording companies will find a way to protect their songs
with some sort of encryption so your brain cannot remember the song you listened to properly.
and it will end up sounding like this when you recall it party rockers in the house tonight buy the party rock song tonight its on itunes tonight only $1.47 tonight

BUY THAT!!

LOL kind of sounds funny now but what if the technology did exist to do this
would be kind of scary in my opinion and I'm sure the ad companies would love it.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]For everyone saying that this is 'stealing' and illegal. Yes, it is against Google's terms, but it is not stealing. Under current law, it is possible that it is copyright infringement (which isn't stealing). Of course those laws are ridiculous and need to be drastically tamed down or removed altogether. Saving a datastream that you are legally allowed to access should not be a crime. Those bits of data are entering my computer, what I do with them once they are there should be up to me.[/citation]

If I rent you my car, it gets into your hands, should it be up to you to wreck it if you so desire?

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]On youtube, people are giving you the ability to experience something through that site, not the ability to claim youtube files as your own and do with them whatever you want to. Furthermore, many videos on youtube aren't posted by the copyright holder of the material being posted anyway. Heck, most probably aren't.[/citation]
Hey blaz. Didn't think I'd see you around here. I didn't know you were into things like this. Was gonna reply to that guy as well, but it seems like you've done it for me as well. You even mentioned a sentiment that I was about to share about how a lot of videos out there already are copyright infringements in one way or another. Hehe...
But anyway, about using a DVR, if your cable company allows it or the law allows it, but with limited rights like not sharing it outside your home where your cable actually is or something, then you're fine. But there's no such agreement with YouTube. I would say though that even though it might be against YouTube's TOS to download the videos for offline use, if you have the video owner's permission, then it should be alright, though I'm only assuming that that part of the TOS is there for piracy reasons which it won't be with the proper permissions.
I think as well that if you're gonna watch a (legit) video over and over again, the poster is counting on the number of views/traffic that may bring to their video.

[citation][nom]zaperbaby123[/nom]here's something interesting I thought of when I listen to a song I can recall the song from memory am I breaking copyright by recalling the song from the memory in my brain?next thing you know the recording companies will find a way to protect their songswith some sort of encryption so your brain cannot remember the song you listened to properly.and it will end up sounding like this when you recall it party rockers in the house tonight buy the party rock song tonight its on itunes tonight only $1.47 tonight BUY THAT!!LOL kind of sounds funny now but what if the technology did exist to do thiswould be kind of scary in my opinion and I'm sure the ad companies would love it.[/citation]
If remembering the song from memory was good enough, people wouldn't pirate this much, especially after they've heard the song elsewhere. We wouldn't be filling up our data storages and music players like we do if ever. But NO, it's not good enough. Just like a book with copyrighted text, you can learn and remember what you've read from it, that's why you or someone else bought it, but that's not always the case and sometimes, you want to refer back to it. Both cases require you to acquire the copyrighted material, music, books, or anything, not whether you do it the right way or not...

breeeezyx

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
damn, as if google and youtube dont make enough money as it is, they had to do this? can someone tell me how there is ANY stealing involved? This is why i hate people. everytime something convenient and good comes along for people like me who love music and like to download it often, it has to get shut down. I wouldn't mind using iTunes to download music but half the songs I listen to can't even be found on there. So if this website gets shut down, Youtube and Google will never hear the last of me. And anyone who has something to me can e-mail or contact me. This is complete bullshit.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]breeeezyx[/nom]damn, as if google and youtube dont make enough money as it is, they had to do this? can someone tell me how there is ANY stealing involved? This is why i hate people. everytime something convenient and good comes along for people like me who love music and like to download it often, it has to get shut down. I wouldn't mind using iTunes to download music but half the songs I listen to can't even be found on there. So if this website gets shut down, Youtube and Google will never hear the last of me. And anyone who has something to me can e-mail or contact me. This is complete bullshit.[/citation]
It's really hard to tell someone that they already make more than enough money. Some guy poorer than you can tell you the same thing, always remember that.
Good and convenient? Talk about piracy. It's getting shutdown because it's not right, but more so because it's illegal.
Some people love cars. They may want a foreign model which isn't available to them unless they have enough money. They can't do anything. Nor should you go ahead and step on these companies'/artists' intellectual property. If it isn't on iTunes, look elsewhere, wherever they actually sell those songs.
Just in case, though you might be familiar, there are some artist's who really share their music for free. Some for popularity, potential profits for the future, and/or just being good people and sharing, just like the open-source community. But for others, they make a living out of this, and they get paid. Mind you, YouTube/Google is just providing the way for the loss of intellectual property owners, so they're just taking up the responsibility of preventing this.

ryosukefd

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
i feel it must be said i chose the positive button because im thinking positive in youtube-mp3.org's favor.

This is a formal complaint to anyone claiming the website http://www.youtube-mp3.org has done any wrong doings. They themselves have made fantastic points including:

After the radio has been invented people could make use of casette recorders to make a copy of the program.
After the tv has been invented you could use a video recorder. Nowadays you can use a more modern product like Google TV..

if you really want to blame someone blame the major corporations that are allowing people to not only watch but "save" or download them and watch them on the home television sets, such as google tv (named above), apple tv, even the popular company and website netflix. they pay for each individual dvd sure but dont pay tribute to the creators everytime someone rents a movie, not to mention the "insta-que" online viewable movies and shows who gets paid for those. netflix thats who.
So if your even considering allowing these other companies to make money off others work and are going to threaten or condemn sites such as www.youtube-mp3.org then you sir and anyone working with you is both a coward(not meant to be insulting) and someone who cant see reason.

I emplore you to reconsider anything against the site of youtube-mp3.org, unless your willing to take down other multi-million dollar corporations as well. cause again google tv doesnt pay artist for there music and videos, niether does youtube.com either. your forcing injustice upon the masses on the internet today. you cant rid the internet of one thing unless your willing to fight to end all of them.

with all due respect,
Malcolm Oz

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]ryosukefd[/nom]They themselves have made fantastic points including: After the radio has been invented people could make use of casette recorders to make a copy of the program. After the tv has been invented you could use a video recorder. Nowadays you can use a more modern product like Google TV..if you really want to blame someone blame the major corporations that are allowing people to not only watch but "save" or download them and watch them on the home television sets, such as google tv (named above), apple tv, even the popular company and website netflix.[/citation]
I would have to speak up against you hear my good man. Many inventions have been made, the car, the knife, the gun, medical drugs, etc. All of these can be used for "good." They're great inventions. The car for transportation. The knife as multi-purpose tool, one purpose being cooking. The gun for hunting and self-defense, or any other not so ordinary use. Drugs for healing or treatment.
Along with their "good" uses come bad uses. All of them can be used for unadulterated murder for one thing, and a whole lot of other obvious and not so obvious bad purposes. So with this in mind, does that mean we should blame the people/companies that invented these? I think not. We should blame the IRRESPONSIBLE people who use these for their evil deeds. Even our own God-given (I'm not sure if you're a theist.) bodies can be used for evil, but also for good. It's responsibility (along with values) that is needed.
Video and radio recorders must have some legal background to them, or else they would've been sued, and I do remember reading about a legal issue with TiVo. But that aside, the use of those two products should be with responsibility. I bet that actually distributing the recorded content is illegal for one thing. Using them for your personal use, in the case of the video recorder, possibly within your household and as long as you have a subscription to your cable provider, might be allowed.

[citation][nom]ryosukefd[/nom]they pay for each individual dvd sure but dont pay tribute to the creators everytime someone rents a movie, not to mention the "insta-que" online viewable movies and shows who gets paid for those. netflix thats who.So if your even considering allowing these other companies to make money off others work and are going to threaten or condemn sites such as www.youtube-mp3.org then you sir and anyone working with you is both a coward(not meant to be insulting) and someone who cant see reason.I emplore you to reconsider anything against the site of youtube-mp3.org, unless your willing to take down other multi-million dollar corporations as well. cause again google tv doesnt pay artist for there music and videos, niether does youtube.com either. your forcing injustice upon the masses on the internet today. you cant rid the internet of one thing unless your willing to fight to end all of them.with all due respect,Malcolm Oz[/citation]
I believe there's a license that comes with being able to rent out content like that, and if they're a legitimate company, then they would've paid their tribute through the price of that license. There seems to be a lot of illegitimate distributors who not only violate the rights of the content producers, but they reap the benefits through online ads for one thing. That is just wrong. They are irresponsibly using the Internet.
I am not sure what YouTube's relationship with Vevo and other legitimate content distributors is, but I usually do see ads with those, so I'm guessing there is an agreement going on there, along with other signs. People who just post copyrighted content there illegitimately should be reprimanded/educated on the matter.
YouTube-MP3 in the first place is already infringing on the TOS of YouTube, but that could be alright in my opinion, as long as the user has the proper permission or right to download the content, but the thing is, that might not always be the case most of the time and that's why YouTube is now having a problem with them.
The articled did seem to say that they plan to pursue other offenders, and they have my support on that.
I'm not sure where you came up with your claims of wrongfully not compensating the content producers stemmed from. Here's an idea. Why doesn't Netflix have all the movies in the world, most especially the popular new releases? Why do some movies disappear with a certain date assigned? It's all about licenses. I didn't mean to offend you in anyway. Thank you for reading. :)

G

We should all listen to VOCALOID music now! Most of their songs are free, anyways. And catchy.
But then again, most people are too stuck up to listen to music that isn't done by the pricks in California.

G

Also one more thing to add.

@ a victim

You're getting on my nerves with your dictionary quotes and your silly assumptions about pirates. We're humans, too. Albeit, we don't have as much money as people like you. Not everybody has grown up with everything you had. There was a nice little quote from The Great Gatsby that fits here nicely. I'm sure you know just what I'm talking about.

Our economy isn't the greatest. The only reason people steal, is because they can't afford it. We have to worry about food, our bills, taxes, paying off college loans, etc.,

So before any of you rich industry pigs assume and call every citizen a "thief" and a "pirate", maybe you should consider that your "ToS" and your "copyright laws" are doing more harm than good for lower and middle class families. (Which make up about 80% of the US)

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.