Google Now Censoring BitTorrent, RapidShare

Status
Not open for further replies.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Aren't the people most likely to use those terms probably the people who have a problem with auto-complete anyway?

Xaios

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
A fellow I know released an album on the internet on the new year. Within 3 days of the release of the album, perhaps 8 or so of the results Google came up with weren't about a torrent or RapidShare link to download it illegally. There were literall THOUSANDS of illegal download links within 3 days of him posting the release. It was just shameful.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Title FAIL!
There is NO censoring at all.
This is journalism at its worst. Do not post false titles to draw people to articles. I expected better, Tom's...

senshu

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Still comes up for me in chrome. I type in "bit" and the first thing that instantly pops up is the full address for bittorrent. I've never even been there before, I use utorrent. =\

jsheridan

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
why don't they just stop returning search results for those sites? no one really uses them for demos or videos or what legal manner people are claiming now-a-days.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]Anomalyx[/nom]Title FAIL!There is NO censoring at all.This is journalism at its worst. Do not post false titles to draw people to articles. I expected better, Tom's...[/citation]

Agreed.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]xaios[/nom]A fellow I know released an album on the internet on the new year. Within 3 days of the release of the album, perhaps 8 or so of the results Google came up with weren't about a torrent or RapidShare link to download it illegally. There were literall THOUSANDS of illegal download links within 3 days of him posting the release. It was just shameful.[/citation]
I'm surprised it wasn't 3 days BEFORE the release.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I still remember in the 1990s when it was nearly impossible to find anything you're looking for to pirate on the internet. People are spoiled these days on the internet.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Oh woes me how can Google do such a thing as not auto type a search for someone. This is so horrendous.

@rooket, yeah the good ole 90's if you wanted to do something similar it was a crazy arse warez site with a 10 step process that had 50 fake links and one real one and the file you got was compressed in 2 or 3 obscure formats to prevent anyone not very techy to be so lost they would never do it. That our you traded files via IRC.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
They haven't censored it yet, and it would be foolish of them to do so.

As often used as Google's search engine is, prohibiting terms like this would cause people to use an alternate search engine. What I don't understand is why everyone in the US is afraid of the media industry, even the government itself. Has the mafia found a new outlet or something?
Grow a spine and tell the media industry it isn't your problem and they can't do anything but cry about it since there is no legal liability for the search providers.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
just tested it... typing in part of the word "bittorrent" won't bring up anything in the auto-search or auto-complete, but once I get the whole word typed in, it auto-searches again and the first link is bittorrent's website. So yeah... half-hearted effort at best, and I'm glad for it. Do just enough to grease the squeakiest wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.