Google Penalizes Chrome Pagerank for Violation of Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEternal1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I think this is quite a show of confidence in their own product. They know full well, that even if search engines dont pull them up as number one, that they will still get the same end results.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
This is kind of cool in a weird way...but, did they really not know? I mean this seems like damage control...you know, first they do sneaky things, then act all good when things backfire.

Or maybe they're actually abiding by their own regulations and holing up their values?

I don't know, can't decide.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
How about Google just stop their sneakware installs of chrome whenever you download and install any free software app or utility.
1/2 of the people with chrome on their computers have no idea what it is or how it got there thanks to the sneak installs by google.

G

That's why google has now an AddWords on the first page is you search by "browser".
It's not no 1 in the search results but it still shows up as first because of AdWords. Thanks to adwords it's even more visible.

Way to go Google .....

spazoid

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
So can someone explain to me how the end user gains anything from having to click through 57 pages of search results to find the best browser available?

spazoid

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]spazoid[/nom]So can someone explain to me how the end user gains anything from having to click through 57 pages of search results to find the best browser available?[/citation]

Maybe not 57 pages, but several pages anyway...

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]spazoid[/nom]So can someone explain to me how the end user gains anything from having to click through 57 pages of search results to find the best browser available?[/citation]

I didn't realize they also penalized Firefox.

mrmaia

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Google is just trying to fog over the fact that they're polluting the web to promote Chrome.

What the hell, paying blogs? This is not only ridiculous, it's outrageous in every way possible. If adwares and TV ads weren't enough.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
It sounds to me like a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.

Chrome's marketing department went a little overboard and generated some bad PR with their overzealous advertising. The rest of Google then had to clean up the mess left by one of their many departments.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"What the hell, paying blogs"... so what is new?
I mean, Bloggers need to make a living too.
If any Hollywood star can endorse a product or bank, why can a Blogger not 'endorse' a service or product in his medium ?

G

I wonder how many of you are typing these comments using Chrome right now.

Yes, Google screwed up. But at least they take some responsibility for their actions. If this had been Microsoft or Apple, hell even Mozilla (which Google has been keeping afloat), can you say they would have done the same?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
he now has to click less with chrome out of the way

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
WOW, Opera is now the top browser in google and Bing searches in opera, i tried to search from IE too and gave me the same results
(a user of opera since 2007 and now using Opera 12 alpha)

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]mrmaia[/nom]Google is just trying to fog over the fact that they're polluting the web to promote Chrome.What the hell, paying blogs? This is not only ridiculous, it's outrageous in every way possible. If adwares and TV ads weren't enough.[/citation]
Exactly. Really the only reason why Chrome is growing so much. Most users don't have a clue what Chrome even is

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]This is kind of cool in a weird way...but, did they really not know? I mean this seems like damage control...you know, first they do sneaky things, then act all good when things backfire.Or maybe they're actually abiding by their own regulations and holing up their values?I don't know, can't decide.[/citation]

when you get big, you cant manage every little thing, you outsource it to people you think you can trust.

on a day by day, they have FAR bigger issues to deal with than did we promote chrome in an underhanded way?

when the backlash hits and they are made aware, they back peddled a bit, nothing major and nothing really bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.