Google Project Fi vs Other Carriers: What’s the Best Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandrMeginhar

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
Why would anyone in their right mind trust Google as their data provider, when they have proven they don't respect your privacy?

That's just stupid. You are nothing but a "cash cow" to be milked.

Kevin0101

Estimable
Apr 23, 2015
I don't see how this will compete with Cricket, which is actually owned and run by AT&T, so this means they have much better coverage than sprint and T-Mobile combined. Plus, you can get 20 gigs of 4g LTE for $55 a month with the $5 auto pay discount you mention. I was finally able to ditch my Comcast internet with this, finding it is enough Data monthly for all my uses. I just use the phone as a hotspot when the kids need the internet. Anyways, good luck everyone this should keep downward pressure on prices, and upward pressure on data, until we all can get rid of that dumb expensive pipe coming into our homes.

will1220

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
How do you leave Republic Wireless out of this article when it's the exact same thing Google is proposing with Google Fi?

Puiucs

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Why would anyone in their right mind trust Google as their data provider, when they have proven they don't respect your privacy?

That's just stupid. You are nothing but a "cash cow" to be milked.
so you will trust the other ISPs when they proved that not only they don't respect your privacy, they don't even respect you as customer or even as a human?

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I've already signed up for the invite. There are still some details I need to know. Will a Verizon Nexus 6 work? When I'm on my own WiFi are they still charging me data? When it switches to a public wifi hotspot..is data still counted then? I like hangouts and I like the ability to be connected on all my devices through my number. I'm gonna test drive it.

rgd1101

Don't

Lot of the question can be answer here
https://fi.google.com/about/faq/

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Gamersglory, will1220 etc, a comparison with Republic is a good idea, we may/will include it in a future update

To me the biggest draw of Project Fi and having Google as a provider is the cross-device operability. I won't need to have my phone on me to text my friends who have my phone number. So in that way it beats Cricket..

As for privacy concerns... I threw all that out the window the day I signed up for Gmail, I think.... -__-" heh

Gee Dee Dubs

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
Sounds good - but can you also bring your own unlocked phone if you don't want to purchase a new one? I'm partial to my iPhone 4s - not ready to give it up - just want better service - how flexible are they in that regard?

rgd1101

Don't

If you read it, you would see that right now it only work on nexus 6.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

Hey Gee Dee Dubs,

Like rgd1101 said, the service only works on the Nexus 6. This is because the Nexus 6 is the only phone right now, according to Google, that can support the network-changing technology. It has a specialized radio. Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.