Google to Make 1Gbps Internet for Ludicrous Speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
This is great news, hopefully Google can follow through with this plan and lead the way, cause no one else is in this country. And like they said, it has to be made available for a reasonable competitive price.

The telecommunications network in the US is in need of major upgrades and modernizations. We're lagging behind pretty much every other developed nation (except Australia... lol) in terms of both average bandwidth and access to broadband services. It's really quite embarrassing, and represents only a small part of the degradation of our national infrastructure over the past decade.

And o ya, it was announced over a year ago that South Korea would be making 1Gbps internet services available to every location in the country by 2012.

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
how much will it cost and what options will they offer? These were the questions that came to my mind.

If i can get 1gbs @ $35 a month then shit I will be on that like a pack of raccoons on a open trash can lol.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Good luck with that google. The problem is the connection to the last mile, which is almost always the local telco company to your house. They won't be exactly helpful in helping google out.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Well if they could pull this off all of the other internet providers would sh*t their pants. It would basically make every other ISP look like a bunch of thieves (which they are I guess)[/citation]
I totally agree, the big players in the ISP industry have been lying to their customers, overcharging, and ignoring customer feedback for far too long. All while Japan, South Korea, and most of Europe have left us in the dust, increasing bandwidth, availability, and decreasing price per Mbps. The US alternative, keep bandwidth stagnant and introduced throttling...

G

As long as they don't block Ports like my ISP..can't even have my own web or email server on the default ports.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Lots of haters ITT. Google is the best tech company to work for; they're like the Santa Claus of the internet. Not entirely sure what crazy-sauce you've been drinking to be so conspiracy-minded.

"ANYONE THAT GETS ANYWHERE ABOVE ME SHOULD BE DISTRUSTED." mentality is getting annoying and it's making me even sadder to be an American.

G

1Gbps Internet would be awesome (though rather useless unless content provides upgraded also.) However, I have a feeling that everyone's Internet traffic would be used to somehow feed advertisements to their PC or embed them in web pages they visit.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
1Gbps internet is just going to increase piracy by all those lovely people out there that believe they are owed something for nothing. After all each one of them is the most important person in the world and they should get everything for free.

liquid0h

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]pug_s[/nom]Good luck with that google. The problem is the connection to the last mile, which is almost always the local telco company to your house. They won't be exactly helpful in helping google out.[/citation]
Google is doing fiber to the house, not curb or beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.