Google to Make 1Gbps Internet for Ludicrous Speed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]wow, 1gbps, most home users would have to buy new networking equipment for this speed[/citation]

Do you have a Gbps lan adaptor? In most implementations of FTTH this is just what you need. Plug and enjoy :p

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Seems very good for all of those who have crappy connection speed.

Downside: I guess one condition will be you have to share all you data with google...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]It's about time. Practically every other developed nation has faster Internet connections than the USA. Boooooo USA telcos!!![/citation]
You didnt qualify that statement correctly. It should read:

"Practically every other developed nation [with 1/20 the land mass of the US] has faster Internet connections that the USA".

Having said that, both U-Verse and FIOS have both said they dont plan on making service available in my neighborhood for at least 3 years. Help me Google, your my only hope!

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Are hard drives able to keep up with 1Gb networks? If you're able to saturate the network link, your memory can get full and your HDD can't keep up, so you'll bottle neck somewhere and then your download will stop for a while.

Of course, we do more than just download file for storage, but still I can see small problems.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
I sent in my recommendation for my small town. I doubt its going to happen, but its worth a try. The internet around this place is terrible!!!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]Are hard drives able to keep up with 1Gb networks? If you're able to saturate the network link, your memory can get full and your HDD can't keep up, so you'll bottle neck somewhere and then your download will stop for a while.Of course, we do more than just download file for storage, but still I can see small problems.[/citation]
Your assuming that there is only ever one person downloading at a time. I recently took on a roommate at my condo and we are constantly over our measly 8mb of bandwidth. With 1gb, we could each saturate our newsgroup connections and not be constantly stepping on each others toes the way we are now. Thats only 2 of us. I have several friends with older kids and some of them have 5-10 computers online in their house.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Sign me up IF it gets here... Otherwise (YAWN) I'm stuck with the monopolistic, piratical and price rising for nothing TW Roadrunner service.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
thank you google for another revolution. now sucky as my connection, i hope for future improvements as google keeps on moving forward.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Almost nobody will be able to use this speed, first off, most website's throttle connections to begin with, even youtube and hulu. Second, the vast majority of personal computers won't come close to the throughput needed with their little single drive arrays. Third, there is currently no content that requires this kind of bandwidth. HD feeds might peak around 100Mb, that's it. Other than screaming fast downloads from websites that allow it, eOpen for example, this is useless.

I've saturated 1Gb links, but it takes a good RAID 10 on either end with 15k scsi drives (ok that's actually overkill), peaked at 926Mb. Granted some HD's now can reach 110MB or more, but they can't sustain it with lots of small file transfers for long. SSD's are a different story but not what I'd called widespread.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]darkknight22[/nom]I dont know, with the way Google has been going after....everyone... lately this doesn't surprise me.Either way, there is a credible threat that should hopefully spur some pants pooping from the other ISP execs.[/citation]
It will bring prices down...QQ

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Hilarion[/nom]Sign me up IF it gets here... Otherwise (YAWN) I'm stuck with the monopolistic, piratical and price rising for nothing TW Roadrunner service.[/citation]
I hear you! Also their "Turbo Boost" is a load of shyt too

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
So google is trying to redesign earth. That's their main agenda.
Once that is done, google's president will become president of EARTH.
One earth, one nation, one GOOGLE.

G

I'm amazed how nobody mentioned that Google wins BIG time, EVEN IF they lose in the battle the followed this venture into ISPdom. Whether they succeed in gaining a foothold or the telcos wake up and strongarm them out of market by competing, what we can see is that bandwidth WILL go down in price - and as a cutting edge content delivering business Google will benefit a lot from the upgrade. That is, regardless of whether the upgrade is delivered by themselves or the telcos. Heck, they might only need to do the "trials" to scare the telcos into doing this for them, minimizing investment.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I hear you! Also their "Turbo Boost" is a load of shyt too[/citation]
Im not sure about RRs "Turbo Boost" but with Comcast, I regularly get 24mb for the first min or 100megs with their "turbo boost".. That first 100megs goes real quick at 24mb from Astraweb though..

[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Almost nobody will be able to use this speed, first off, most website's throttle connections to begin with, even youtube and hulu. Second, the vast majority of personal computers won't come close to the throughput needed with their little single drive arrays. Third, there is currently no content that requires this kind of bandwidth. HD feeds might peak around 100Mb, that's it. Other than screaming fast downloads from websites that allow it, eOpen for example, this is useless.I've saturated 1Gb links, but it takes a good RAID 10 on either end with 15k scsi drives (ok that's actually overkill), peaked at 926Mb. Granted some HD's now can reach 110MB or more, but they can't sustain it with lots of small file transfers for long. SSD's are a different story but not what I'd called widespread.[/citation]

1. One of the advantages of using newsgroups is not worrying about how fast the other party can send. Full speed 24/7 on my 8mb Comcast connection. Although, Im curious to see how fast it would go on a 1gb connection.

2. More people than you may think. I have 3 raid0 arrays in my machine, one of them using ssd drives,and so does my roommate. We can saturate our gbit connection on our internal network. Most all of my other friends have similar setups. We are definitely not the norm, but we are not rare either. Also, as someone pointing out already 1Gbit = 119.2MByte. If you check the hdd charts here on Toms, you will see a 500gb SpinPoint F3 clocks in at 119mb/s AVERAGE, so even a single drive can max out a 1gb connection.

3. Maybe one person wont saturate that 1gbps link by themselves without new hardware or some effort, but what about people with several family members? What if they all wanted to watch their own streaming HD movies and download stuff at the same time?

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]Almost nobody will be able to use this speed, first off, most website's throttle connections to begin with, even youtube and hulu. Second, the vast majority of personal computers won't come close to the throughput needed with their little single drive arrays. Third, there is currently no content that requires this kind of bandwidth. HD feeds might peak around 100Mb, that's it. Other than screaming fast downloads from websites that allow it, eOpen for example, this is useless.I've saturated 1Gb links, but it takes a good RAID 10 on either end with 15k scsi drives (ok that's actually overkill), peaked at 926Mb. Granted some HD's now can reach 110MB or more, but they can't sustain it with lots of small file transfers for long. SSD's are a different story but not what I'd called widespread.[/citation]

Someone else has already addressed the hard-drive's maximum sustainable read/write speeds.

About websites throttling your connection... it'll happen. You can't toss away a hundred regular users just to satisfy the needs of a single user with a monstrous connection. The thing is though, why are we limited to single-task downloads? I mean, you guys are running "duo cores" advertised for their multi-tasking ability, right? For me, the only reason I would need a gigabit bandwidth is for massive, multiple file-sharing (think FTP, XDCC, torrents, or other server-related tasks) and for downloading *multiple things* at once. Oh noes, youtube is limiting me to 8 mbits?! Well good, leave that on and go drain someone else's bandwith because YOU still have 992 mbits of pure gold luxury remaining.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I hate announcements like these. There is always something being touted as best, but it never makes it to my area. Has Fios even made it to Chicago yet? damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS