Google: We Saved You From a Draconian Future

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I really don't understand people's hatred of Google, as a company they have been innovative, and changed the way we use our computers, other companies are always having to play catch up with them and that is great for us the customer...

Google started off as a search engine, and it was by far the best search engine around and other companies had to up their game to keep up, they added FREE apps for us to use, such as google maps, online document editing, Microsoft is now having to put a free version of office on the web for us to use, just because of google.

I am not saying Google are the saviours of the world, or that everything they do is utterly wonderful, they get things wrong as everyone does, but at least they are open about it, admit their mistakes and most importantly admit what they are doing unlike others, Apple, Microsoft and FB

They may be dominating the market in certain areas right now, but they do it by being better than everyone else, not by restrictions, not by breaching your civil liberties. They care for their employees, hell how many other companies would allow their employees time (paid in full as well) to create pages in Klingon, and other bizarre languages just for fun?

I am not saying Google are the best thing ever, but they offer great products (Mostly completely free of charge)have a concious, treat their employees well. Yes they have become huge, but frankly that is just because they do what they do BETTER than everyone else

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]I really don't understand people's hatred of Google, as a company they have been innovative, and changed the way we use our computers...[/citation] How, exactly, have Google changed the way you use your computer? What innovation have they brought to the table? Oh, a search algorithm and tons and tons and tons of advertising (which I remove with Glimmer and Safari AdBlock). The best thing they brought to my computer was/is Google Earth. No mean achievement though hardly earth-shattering.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]...they get things wrong as everyone does, but at least they are open about it, admit their mistakes and most importantly admit what they are doing unlike others, Apple, Microsoft and FB. They may be dominating the market in certain areas right now, but they do it by being better than everyone else, not by restrictions, not by breaching your civil liberties.[/citation] Schmidt was asked in an interview on CNBC whether Google's users should treat the search engine as a "trusted friend." Schmidt's reply was, in part, "Judgment matters.[...] If you have something that you don't want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place, but if you really need that kind of privacy, the reality is that search engines — including Google — do retain this information for some time… it's important, for example, that we are all subject in the United States to the Patriot Act and it is possible that all that information could be made available to the authorities."

You can now (recently) turn on SSL encrypted Google searching and kill your web browsing history they store but I still wouldn't trust them as a data collection agency.

In Europe they are currently being investigated for illegal breaches of data gathering. Google is just a capitalist organisation whose sole purpose is to make money just like any other company you care to mention.

Being just about the most "all-seeing" company in existence, Google is, in a sense, more Big Brother than Big Brother. They are 1984.

G

"Being just about the most "all-seeing" company in existence, Google is, in a sense, more Big Brother than Big Brother. They are 1984."

Orwellian references are all well and good but the actual Big Brother didn't have much to do with the collection of information as much as it did with controlling it. And by extent, people.

You can't honestly claim we're seeing much of that from Google.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Exodite11[/nom]"Being just about the most "all-seeing" company in existence, Google is, in a sense, more Big Brother than Big Brother. They are 1984."Orwellian references are all well and good but the actual Big Brother didn't have much to do with the collection of information as much as it did with controlling it. And by extent, people.You can't honestly claim we're seeing much of that from Google.[/citation] Building blocks. Information is Power and the line Google draws in the sand is prone to shifting. It is an ironically dark and cynical sense of humour which calls an OS "Android": Page, Schmidt and Brin are smart enough to know all consumers are dumb Electric Sheep.

G

Android is an open-source OS that gives you the ability to write any kind of software you want for it. The iPhone is a totalitarian control-freak, designed to enrich Steve Jobs while giving him complete control over your life. Google hasn't always been privacy's best friend, but I'd take them over Apple and M$ any day.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Standroid[/nom]Android is an open-source OS that gives you the ability to write any kind of software you want for it. The iPhone is a totalitarian control-freak, designed to enrich Steve Jobs while giving him complete control over your life. Google hasn't always been privacy's best friend, but I'd take them over Apple and M$ any day.[/citation] The iPhone is a product, like any other, which a consumer has the freedom to purchase or not. Steve Jobs has a right to design whatever product he wishes. But no product I know of which is made by Apple controls anyone's life. If people can't make life decisions outside of technological commodities I feel very sorry for them. There are far more disturbingly insidious controlling factors in your life than Apple, MS, Google, etc. But in terms of which of those three companies hold more data on me I'd definitely put Google at the top.

Google know all about your:
Gender,
Age,
Sexuality,
Sex partners,
Sexual proclivities,
Car,
Computer,
Phone,
Grandma,
Children,
Politics,
Refrigerator,
Music,
TV viewing,
Films,
Friends,
Enemies,
the list is endless...

As I don't buy from iTunes or use an iPhone what Apple knows about me could probably be written on the back of a stamp. Tesco and Amazon almost certainly know far more about me than Apple.

G

"Building blocks. Information is Power and the line Google draws in the sand is prone to shifting."

As I've said before skepticism is a good trait, if prone to evolve into paranoia.

Multitudes of big businesses as well as the governments of several nations are out to get Google. The fact that they have been unable to come up with anything particularly incriminating so far, considering the amount of money spent trying, is enough for me to take the wait-and-see approach.

Google is worth watching due to the power they sit on but it's hardly time to cry wolf at this point.

Then again I suppose I might be giving you too much credit, considering that you don't believe Apple exercises more control over its users than Google.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Even though I am astonished by Apple's draconian grip on its customer and disgusted with the fact that not a single review site mentiones, that you can't copy your own (non DRM!!!) files from your own device, I don't quite get why the world needs to be saved by Google from Apple.

Apple is like what, one fourth of the smartphone market?

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
fook apple, it ruined some of my friends, all day play stupid games on iphone and facebook stuff, its like they are connected to the net, who said you have to have a cable inserted in you like in matrix to do that? all you need is something like the damn iphone...

i hope apple blows a nuke in their offices.

oncall

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
"I don't quite get why the world needs to be saved by Google from Apple."

It doesn't need to be saved from Apple. Apple is about as much a threat as my coffee machine. If my coffee machine makes bad coffee I run to the store and buy a new one. Apple and Google are well run businesses with a single purpose, to make money. If they maintain business practices contrary to the best interests of their customers they will soon be out of business. Why people get all emotional and hurt over either of them is beyond me. If you don't like them buy a competitors product.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]fook apple, it ruined some of my friends, all day play stupid games on iphone and facebook stuff...[/citation] I suspect your "friends" (acquaintances?) were already "ruined".
(i) Apple don't do games (ii) Apple don't do facebook.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Exodite12[/nom]Then again I suppose I might be giving you too much credit, considering that you don't believe Apple exercises more control over its users than Google.[/citation] All companies try to build brand-loyalty based on business models. I said Apple, MS and Google were no different (in that respect). But countered that with knowledge that Google implement closed-source (proprietary) search engine algorithms that are collecting and collating internet users data in a way that is gaining an alarming omniscience. I've never felt that about Apple. Have you?

G

usersname: Apparently you never felt that just because that iPod that you bought with YOUR money cannot be used until you activate it with a valid name, address and credit card number, that Apple is somehow invading your privacy.

FFS, is it so bad to be able to walk in to a store, buy an MP3 player with cash, and use it in anonymity? Privacy and anonymity go hand-in-hand, Apple gives you neither.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]user_of_names[/nom]usersname: Apparently you never felt that just because that iPod that you bought with YOUR money cannot be used until you activate it with a valid name, address and credit card number, that Apple is somehow invading your privacy.[/citation] I needed to do no such thing. Anyone can buy and use an iPod without having to give Apple any financial or personal details (that includes your regular e-mail address). See: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

As I buy all my music via CD's from Amazon (or the cheapest alternative source) I have never needed to give Apple any of my personal details. Not that it would bother me to do so as that is how the market works these days.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I have yet to read an argument in these comments that is both Anti-Google and makes sense. Everyone seems to be banking on some notion that Google WILL succeed and dominate at everything they do and once their reach covers every person on the planet, they'll flip some switch and enslave us all and force us to...I don't know...farm or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.