Got some questions with the release of the upcomming GTX 10xx cards

pannkakan

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Dear Tom's Guide,

I am looking to get a new laptop this summer since I will be moving to Taiwan this fall, and bringing my desktop would be quite a hassle. I am looking for something in the $1000 dollar range, which means that I am currently looking at a computer with an GTX 960M card.
Now to the question:
Do you think that the release of the new Pascal cards would lead to a decrease in price of the already established GTX 970/980M cards or would those computers just go obsolete? As I've understood it Nvidia usually release the xx70M/xx80M cards shortly after the desktop cards, and the low-end cards xx60 are released later. This would mean that the 1060M probably wont be released before I leave for Taiwan.

So a short conclusion: should I wait for the mobile Pascals (provided that they'll even be available this summer) or should I just buy a computer with a GTX 960M card now?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Many times when a new product is released you start to see more and more sales or rebates of the last generation product to move it. So to your short conclusion, the answer is maybe to probably. The longer you wait, the greater chance of getting the last gen cheaper.
Many times when a new product is released you start to see more and more sales or rebates of the last generation product to move it. So to your short conclusion, the answer is maybe to probably. The longer you wait, the greater chance of getting the last gen cheaper.

Solution