kjkn1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have an AC3 sound card. My mother board and OS (Windows 7) can handle 64 bits. I use either Windows Media Player or Winamp. Is there a stand alone graphic equalizer (preferably 10 bands or more) I can download (preferably free) to enhance my sound? Thanks ... Ken

kjkn1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hello Tom's Team,

With regard to the suggested link shown above about the RealTime Equalizer 4.10, I downloaded the RTEQ program based on your recommendation, however, it does not seem to be compatible with Window 7. As a matter of fact, when I try to launch the program I get the following error message: "Undocumented error using the waveform driver. RTEQ will now exit."

Am I missing something and not installing the setup properly or has this program not yet been upgraded to Windows 7? Please advise.
Thanks,
Ken

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Hi kjkn1,

Find the executable file. Right click and select Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Use the drop down list to select various Windows OS's and their service packs starting with the latest Vista entry. That should clear up the problem.

kjkn1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Viper,
Thanks for your reply, however, I performed the steps you mentioned ( "Select the Compatibility tab. Use the drop down list to select various Windows OS's and their service packs starting with the latest Vista entry") prior to submitting my last post. There is no Window's 7 OS mentioned. Is there an upgrade available?
Thanks --- Ken

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Ken,

You don't want a Win 7 OS listed. The idea of compatibility Mode is to make the program think you are running a different OS such as Vista or XP. If Win 7 were listed it would not do anything to change how it sees the OS.

Try Vista, then XP Service Pack 3. You're basically tricking the program into thinking it is running on a "compatible" OS.

kjkn1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Viper,
When I received the error message I mentioned in an earlier post ("Undocumented error using the waveform driver. RTEQ will now exit."), I was using the Windows XP Service Pack 3 setting. I have not yet tried a Vista setting. The question I have though (and this may sound naive), is why would I want to use a product that has not yet been upgraded to the newest OS? Couldn't we expect bigger and better things within that upgrade?
Thanks,
Ken

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
The last update to that application was in November of 2006 and Win 7 has been out for nearly a year (in some capacity) so it's doubtful we'll see an update to it specifically for Win 7 compatibility.

An EQ application written specifically for Win 7 may have some visual benefits but not really any functionality benefits.

If you can't get it working, I'll continue looking for a quality 10 band EQ app that will.

kjkn1

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Thanks Viper,
I appreciate your continued help. Thus far I've tried several listed OS systems on RTEQ to include suggested trouble shooting tips. It's still a no go.
Thanks again,
Ken