Graphics Card or Processor (1 Upgrade)

Miss Frums

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Hello
Recently I have been looking into getting a new Processor, but then I was thinking of just getting a better Graphics Card, but now I am so confused on what to upgrade first, because my budget is not enough to upgrade both.

My system :
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5Ghz
RAM : 8GB
64-bit Operating System
Current Graphics Card : AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

So I was thinking of what I should upgrade first, so I want some opinions if ever.

Thinking of upgrading to an AMD FX-6300 Processor or a GTX 750 Graphics Card.

But I am still not sure :)

I am willing to play CS:GO and LOL at ultra settings. Budget :$140 for 1 upgrade :)

Solution
If you only have $140 to spend, then your choice is limited to upgrading the graphics card. Your current motherboard is pretty old and it is not compatible with CPUs manufactured since 2009. The last time AMD and Intel CPUs could use the same motherboard was back in the 1990's.

Download and run Speccy to find out exactly what graphics card you have.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

For $140 you can buy a nVidia GTX 750 Ti GPU. Generally speaking, it is marginally slower than a Radeon HD 7850 and it has about 80% of the Radeon HD 7870's performance. Therefore, I does not make sense to replace your current "Radeon HD 7800" GPU with a GTX 750 Ti because you are basically going to get similar or worse overall performance.

The best...

hobobob

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014
If you're spending 140 tops right now, then I'd recommend a GTX 950 in the way of graphics cards, and nothing in the way of CPUs. Unless you purchase used components, then you can't get a serious upgrade over a Q8300 and a motherboard for $140.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126090
You said that you are using a 7800 series GPU. If it's an HD 7870, then there's no real need to upgrade if you plan on mostly playing LoL and Source games. If that's the case, then just save up a little more and go for a kickass CPU and GPU like an i5 6500 and R9 380 or something.

k1114

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Miss Frums : "Graphics Card or Processor (1 Upgrade)"

If you only have $140 to spend, then your choice is limited to upgrading the graphics card. Your current motherboard is pretty old and it is not compatible with CPUs manufactured since 2009. The last time AMD and Intel CPUs could use the same motherboard was back in the 1990's.

Download and run Speccy to find out exactly what graphics card you have.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

For $140 you can buy a nVidia GTX 750 Ti GPU. Generally speaking, it is marginally slower than a Radeon HD 7850 and it has about 80% of the Radeon HD 7870's performance. Therefore, I does not make sense to replace your current "Radeon HD 7800" GPU with a GTX 750 Ti because you are basically going to get similar or worse overall performance.

The best thing to do is to actually save up more money and then upgrade to a more modern Intel CPU and compatible motherboard. Games generally perform better on Intel CPUs vs. AMD CPUs because they can processes more instructions every single hertz (Hz). Even a dual core i3 CPU can provide similar or better performance compared to the eight core AMD FX-8350 CPU using the same GPU in many games.

Solution

spruce11

Commendable
Mar 2, 2016
since you're play game, my suggest is to replace to GTX750 Graphics Card first. I am not so sure if NVidia's new launched GTX1080 would bring a better deal for GTX750, but worth trying.

If you look at the video card he has, it's faster than a 750 already.