Great sound with a laptop???

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hello there community,

I have a friend who travels often and uses his laptop as a source of music. (trucker) He was told to get a mac :( I advised against it assuming that as far as pure sound quality apple would be overpriced for something he could achieve with a pc.

If I'm wrong by all means let me know. But do any of you sound enthusiasts out there have any suggestions for a laptop with great sound? I did a little bit of research and failed miserably. Not even sure if lappys are designed for sound.

Thanks.

Solution
the sad answer is that they're really not meant for that. A lot of times, companies figure that anyone serious about listening to music on a laptop is either going to have headphones or peripherals so they don't invest a lot in good on-board speakers. Bang and Olufsen make some laptop speakers and they're a pretty decent brand (I think they do the ASUS N550) series) but in general I haven't found too many these days that are fantastic. Your friend could try getting a small speaker. I've seen some nice little compact speakers out there that don't need to be plugged in to a socket. In my experience, though Mac has great hardware, their speakers are pretty soft. Maybe this has changed but I've used more than one Mac that has...

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I've never seen nor even heard of a laptop with good sound. They're just not designed for it.
In his place i would invest in a new radio for his truck. Something with an auxiliary jack or USB input (preferably both). Then he can listen over the truck's speakers.

the sad answer is that they're really not meant for that. A lot of times, companies figure that anyone serious about listening to music on a laptop is either going to have headphones or peripherals so they don't invest a lot in good on-board speakers. Bang and Olufsen make some laptop speakers and they're a pretty decent brand (I think they do the ASUS N550) series) but in general I haven't found too many these days that are fantastic. Your friend could try getting a small speaker. I've seen some nice little compact speakers out there that don't need to be plugged in to a socket. In my experience, though Mac has great hardware, their speakers are pretty soft. Maybe this has changed but I've used more than one Mac that has frustratingly quiet speakers.

Solution
The Lenovo IdeaPad Y series actually have pretty decent speakers for a laptop. They have 2w JBL speakers. When playing games, listening to music or watching a movie I don't feel the need to attach separate speakers. However, twin 1.1w speakers can only produce loud sound before distortion kicks in. While good in a home environment that is not too loud traveling on the road with it to listen to music is not ideal.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Thanks jag,

That actually might help. Love jbl. He uses it for just about everything, on the road, when stopped, at home etc so it might be the solution.

Thanks again.

Yes, JBL speakers are good in general, however, each speaker is only 1.1w. You can only push them so hard before sound quality goes down and if driven too hard for too long the speakers can be damaged. The best thing to do is connect external speakers to the laptop.