Green pixels all over TV screen (not stuck pixels)

Solution
Could be anything from a bad IC on a logic board, to an internal ribbon cable interconnect that's oxidized over the years. I don't recommend taking those things apart because of high voltage (can kill you if you're not careful). They're not as bad as old CRTs, but still...be very cautions around that stuff. Anyways, it might be as simple as re-seating the connections. At worst, bad IC chip or failing capacitors.

Personally, I'd scrap it and get another TV if you can afford to do so.

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
Is this a new issue, or has it always been that way?

I'm thinking problem is in the encode/decode process of the video signal. Most likely it's a bad video cable connection. Try re-plugging the video cable at both ends. If the problem persists, try turning off the display, then unplug power from it for five minutes. Reconnect power and turn it on again.

Jul 20, 2018

The problem persists even after re-plugging source cables. I've tested with multiple devices and inputs. The issue does not get better when the TV has been off for a long time (greater than 5 minutes).

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
Then you've got a problem with the TV; specifically because it's regardless of the device or input.

If you leave everything unplugged from the TV, and still get a display issue with the on-screen menu options, then it's definitely a TV problem. At which point, you'll need to check if it's under warranty. Which I doubt BTW because it's already 10 years old?

Jul 20, 2018

Correct, it's ten years old. There is no issue when there's no input, however. The built-in TV menus do not show green pixels all over. Only when an input is being rendered does the issue present itself.

stdragon

Proper
Apr 5, 2018
Could be anything from a bad IC on a logic board, to an internal ribbon cable interconnect that's oxidized over the years. I don't recommend taking those things apart because of high voltage (can kill you if you're not careful). They're not as bad as old CRTs, but still...be very cautions around that stuff. Anyways, it might be as simple as re-seating the connections. At worst, bad IC chip or failing capacitors.

Personally, I'd scrap it and get another TV if you can afford to do so.

Solution