Grumpy Opinion: “3DTV Isn’t Ready”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Couldnt agree more. I am just waiting for 3D to go the way of leg warmers and disco. Please God let this fad fade even faster in the 21st century.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I agree with the column...but I also have a question

What do you do if you already wear glasses??

I think the technology is cool and worth development, however, it is in its infantcy and unless those (*& glasses go away, I won't be purchasing a 3D Tv anytime soon...

TCeleste

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]I am just waiting for 3D to go the way of leg warmers and disco. [/citation]

lmao :)

[citation][nom]snowgoer1998[/nom]I also have a question...What do you do if you already wear glasses??[/citation]

I think those of us that prefer glasses over contacts are all supposed to get Lasix surgery. I'm picturing Best Buy closing the Magnolia Home Theater room and replacing it with an ophthalmologist's office. "Buy a 3D HDTV and 3D Blu-ray player today and get 50% off Lasix surgery!!" This could get ugly. ;)

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I read somewhere that you could not lay down and watch tv with the glasses on using some tv's. If your eyes were on a vertical line and not horizontal the image is ruined? between this and fact that glasses users cant use them, what is point? One more point - Do you really wanna give your 5 year old a $200 pair of glasses to play with?

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
What's interesting is they never mention how colourbind people have problems with anaglyph images (the colour-tinted glasses). I just saw "How To Train Your Dragon" in 3D and the effects didn't work for me. Many times there was a double image of one of the colours since I could not see the other.

G

The 3D glasses fit over normal glasses, at least in most cases. However, that's still an additional surface that can get dirty.

I saw Avatar in 3D (2160(?)P digital version), and to be honest, there was only once or twice in the whole movie that I noticed the 3D effects when the 3D effects weren't detracting from the movie. Was a neat technology, but it didn't actually add anything to the movie at best, and took me out of the movie at worst.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i agree. they're pushing 3d too early and most don't have have LED or OLED TV's yet. i say, improve picture quality first before 3d.

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
So I saw the Samsung 3D TV advertised in the circular last week. I took a little trip up to the local Best Buy and asked for a demonstration. While it was kinda nice to see some scenes from Monsters v. Aliens jumping out at me, I wasn't completely blown away.

I also didn't particularly enjoy the glasses for a few reasons:
-Wearing them wasn't fun. And they're battery operated. Why? I don't want to be in the middle of Avatar and have them quit on me. Switching batteries or recharging spoils the experience.
-The tinting in them made looking at the TV seem different
-The fact that each pair of glasses costs $150 would really limit the number of people who could watch in 3D. If you had a family of five, that's $450 extra just to have enough for the whole family. If I have a 55" TV, and I'm watching 3D movies, I want to be able to share with ALL my friends and family!

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]edwilson[/nom]One more point - Do you really wanna give your 5 year old a $200 pair of glasses to play with?[/citation]

I just had a mental image of my daughter shouting, "Don't like it! Wanna' watch "Batman"!" She then strips the glasses off her head and time slows down as she whips them across the room towards a quick demise against the wall." 3D FAIL for kids.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I think they are pushing the wrong standard out the door with the shutter glasses. They are potentially destroying the market before it really has a chance to take hold.

keepsake1026

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
NASA wants to show off their success with Virturalization, but cannot take the real technology out of the box, quite yet. So, they (Businesses) give us the 3D TV. Like we really need our TV and Movie characters walking around our homes, as we engage in what use to be a comfortable evening at home with family, viewing our favorites Prime time shows. This Virtualization is real iffy. I cannot see the real danger of being able to walk around our homes, viewing Julia Roberts, or Morgan Freeman live in our homes, other than it takes away the simple pleasure of watching television, while sitting in a more relaxed position. I dontknow if I want War Tanks, bombs exploding in my face, but what am I talking about? 3D is along way off, no I mean Virtualization is a long way off. I still don't want to wear glasses everytime I watch a television program. It might get in the way of my comfortability. One movie is fine, but all movies? I dont think it will work too long.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I really don't need 3D "E"Dysfunction and tampon commercials floating through my family room. Can we also please have all HD content before we try adding yet another format to the mix?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
One thing that I like about 3dtv, it had dropped the price of LED TV's.

Now I can actually afford and LED tv (yay!). As for 3d? Not paying 3 grand, another 400 for a 3d bluray player, another 400 for glasses just to be the first guy on the block to watch Monster vs Aliens... Last I checked that was the only 3D bluray out there. I think the movie industry needs to catch up first before I'd even consider the tech.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]snowgoer1998[/nom]I agree with the column...but I also have a question...What do you do if you already wear glasses??[/citation]

I face this problem every single time i step into the lab. I wouldn't want to have to deal with it when i'm supposed to be relaxing.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm ready for 3dtv. personally, I can't wait. I agree the tech needs to mature, but its moving fast. noone said its ready now, give it a few years. It doesn't bother me to wear glasses, and I'm so impressed with what 3d can do to games and movies, I'm bored with 2d.

MikePHD

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
to all the haters, try it before you bash it. nvidias 3d vision blows every cinema effect out of the water. Most films choose to have a slight 3d effect so they don't alienate the one eyed colorblind viewers. but with the 3d setup for gaming, you can set the 3d effect to your liking. I get about 20-30ft of depth, and about a foot of pop out from my monitor, and let me tell you nothing gives you PTSD like playing Battlefeild BC2 in 3d. Also as a side note: there are tools that easily convert 2d movie files to 3d on the fly and don't require much processing.

MikePHD

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
to all the haters, try it before you bash it. nvidias 3d vision blows every cinema effect out of the water. Most films choose to have a slight 3d effect so they don't alienate the one eyed colorblind viewers. but with the 3d setup for gaming, you can set the 3d effect to your liking. I get about 20-30ft of depth, and about a foot of pop out from my monitor, and let me tell you nothing gives you PTSD like playing Battlefeild BC2 in 3d. Also as a side note: there are tools that easily convert 2d movie files to 3d on the fly and don't require much processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.