GTX 850M and Intel HD 4600 code 43 issue

danthonius

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
Hello,

I have an ASUS X550JK - XX116D with an Intel HD 4600 integrated graphics card and Nvidia GTX 850M dedicated card.

Around a month ago, my computer became slow while playing games. I just recently noticed that it was because my 850M is flagged in device manager with the following message "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)".

I've tried disabling/re-enabling the driver, reinstalling it and using system restore. Neither solved the problem. However, when I disable/uninstall the integrated graphics card, the status of the 850M reverts to "Working properly.", but the laptop doesn't use it. Games crash at startup as if I didn't have any proper graphics card.

Is the GTX 850M physically finished, or is this some compatibility/software issue? If so, can you please help me solve it?

I am using Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Hi,

Please do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver form the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot make sure to set Nvidia as the default graphics card.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card
- If these doesn't work do reinstall Windows.
Hi,

Please do a clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver form the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot make sure to set Nvidia as the default graphics card.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card
- If these doesn't work do reinstall Windows.

Solution

danthonius

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016

Thanks for the fast reply!

It works again after reinstalling Windows. Hoped it wasn't necessary, but such is life.