GTX 960m not detected after doing driver update through Nvidia Geforce Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_h24

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hi Guys,

All was going well last night when I was gaming on my 3 month old Dell Inspirion 15 (7559). This morning I logged on to play some games, and noticed that Nvidia Geforce Experience had a notification that there was a driver update available (they come out with frequent driver updates, and I have done this several times).

So I went ahead and did the update, it prompted me to restart the system, so I did so. Thought everything was all fine, until I booted Overwatch and everything was distorted. So I went to the game options and noticed that it was using the Intel HD graphics card, and not my GTX 960m.

I went ahead and tried to download the correct drivers off both Dell website and Nvidia website, but every time I try to install, it says the graphics card is not detected.

Looking forward to some help!

Thank you so much!

Solution
G
Re-seat the GPU (clean it too!). Then check if the BIOS/GeForce Experience recognizes it.
If it does, congratulations!
If it doesn't, reply back and we'll help.
G

Revert back to the old drivers, maybe there are some bugs in the latest version.
BTW, what does GeForce Experience show? Intel integrated card or nvidia?

Jesse_h24

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I tried looking to do a system restore on windows 10, but there were no restore pointed created automatically. I tried going installing drivers for the 960m off both dell and nvidia website, and it would not let me install. Said there was no compatible card detected.

Geforce Experience says "Sorry, GeForce Experience could not find a driver for this PC" which brought me to trying to install the drivers off dell and Nvidia websites.

GPU is also not showing up in device manager anymore.

ema21del9

Commendable
May 23, 2016
I have the same GPU but previous driver version, I've been reading through internet and it seems the new driver release is full of bugs, fps drops, etc. But in your case is specially weird, have you tried to install an older driver?

G

Re-seat the GPU (clean it too!). Then check if the BIOS/GeForce Experience recognizes it.
If it does, congratulations!
If it doesn't, reply back and we'll help.

Solution

Quixit

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
I actually had this issue with my Dell XPS 15, exactly the same symptoms. It turned out that the GPU had died, all of a sudden. I had to send the notebook back to Dell and they replaced the entire motherboard. If you're getting the can't find a driver error, even after trying to reinstall entirely and it's not showing up in the device manager call Dell's support line and talk to them. Chances are they'll need to you send it in for hardware repairs.

riogio

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016

hi! i have the same problem. please help!

bought a nvidia jetstream gforce 960. i have a dell xps 8700. did a bios update to A11 from dell website.the card is in my computer and my monitor is plugged into it. i can go into windows (windows 10 by the way) and see display in 2d.

the card is not seen in device manager and when trying to install the correct nvidia drivers, it says card is not detected.

please help, as i must decide to return the brand new graphics card as it doesnt work with a dell xps 8700 or i must try load windows 7 and see if that works...

i dont see anything in my bios about graphics cards/displays. i mean, the card is plugged into my machine and working on my monitor. it tells me its maybe windows 10 issue?

G

Logged in after a (very) long time...

Download GPUZ and post pics of every tab...lets zero in on the problem

AtomSphere

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016

you realized that its a mobile GPu right?
OP like the last post suggested, GPUz and see if the info shows your graphics card.

julov5

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
I'm having the same problem, but GPUZ doesn't help since the laptop does not register that the graphics card is there, so the only GPU I can select from GPUZ is the intel one

G

I agree, let's try that

willikers

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Same problem with a gt750m. I've done clean install using DDU. New and Old drivers. Disabling Intel Graphics. Microsoft Update. Restore a few weeks back. NO LOVE. Here are my observations.
1. When no driver is installed the Nvidia card shows in Display Adapter with a yellow triangle saying no driver.
2. I install the driver and it says all I have to do is restart. On restart I can only find the Nvidia card on Hidden Devices and it gives a (code 45) error "hardware not connected". If I check the driver it says it is upto date.
3. One time (i can't make it repeat) I was "scanning hardware updates on PCI Express Root and it saw my Nvidia card. Disappeared on restart.
I saw a post blaming the PCI port. He said he uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it was fine. Not sure/afraid how to do this. I can't update my bios (another possible solution I found) because it was a custom built machine and they say they don't support it. If that's the issue I'm boned.

I hope this helps someone smarter than me.
I'll keep trying

zdrinca

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017

I have the exact same issue on the exact same laptop. It seems that after installing the latest nvidia update through Geforce Experience, after restart my games were lagging. Under the device manager tab, the GTX 960M tab was marked with a yellow sign, going into the details section it gave a message that the device stopped working.

I uninstalled the driver completely, restarted my laptop, still did could not play the games, cause the only videocard that works now is the Intel one, that can't handle heavy games.

So after a couple of restarts and trying stuff out, windows gave me an update notice, it was for my GTX960M videocard! After installing the update it worked like normal, albeit being an update from august.

It seems that the newest nvidia update, which is from mid december, seems to now work, which is a real shame, cause some games I wish to play only work on the newest nvidia update... if someone knows a solution please let me know!

willikers

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

KingSyntoX

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

Hey dude, i got the exactly same issue with my geforce 780m in my alienware 18.. i cant even reinstall geforce experience... how exactly do i fix it?

GabeCrash

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
The only one solution is Shutdown your computer completly, before that you have to Disable Hybrid Starting.

1. Run an elevated command promt CMD - right click, run as administrator and type the following:
2. powercfg -h off
3. Shutdown your computer via startmenu shutdown function.
4. Start your computer as usual, try to avoid restart that's a common issue with nvidia gpus.

I Hope it will help for many people who suffer from this issue.

Reactions: dario_rt

AdamsDomain

Prominent
Mar 14, 2017

This solution worked for me, Thanks a lot dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.