Solved! Guys, i need help building a Raspberry Pi \ android Laptop

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015
i've got a dead Compaq 615 the motherboard gave up on me lol
but it's screen and battery, touchpad, keyboard are still working fine
the laptop is in a really good shape apart from the motherboard issue. Anyways
I thought of replacing it';s motherboard with a Raspberry Pi or one of those "Android on a stick" PC, it's somewhat possible right?
i need help finding driver boards for the screen and the keyboard \ touchpad and a charging circuit
It'll be a cool little project, Hopefully lol

Solution

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
For $140 on Amazon you can buy all the stuff youd need to make a Raspberry Pi system, screen, motherboard, storage, neat looking case to fit it all. It wont be possible to adapt your hardware to a Raspberry Pi. Unless you have some serious skills, but if you did, you probably wouldnt be asking how to do this.

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Well yeah you're right i'm not skilled enough to do so but i like to keep things as portable as possible
Maybe replacing the dead motherboard and installing Android x86 on the HDD is a better solution?

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I have no clue if it would be better or even possible. You can find portable devices pretty much anywhere, you are only limited by your budget. Im assuming you have a small budget, either buy a replacement motherboard for your laptop, or look into other devices. Ive prototyped several things that ive built and sold on ebay with a small measure of success. It is almost NEVER worth the money and time it takes to make something like this yourself, unless you plan on making it and selling it.

edit.

Heres the case I was talking about, you can also purchase all the stuff youd need for it for about $140.

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Official-Raspberry-Touchscreen-Display/dp/B01HV97F64/ref=sr_1_22?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1489746579&sr=1-22&keywords=raspberry+pi+3

Portable, mountable, wont break the bank and comes with an OS if you buy a kit.

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

well yeah i do have a very tight budget about 50 to 100 bucks
a replacement motherboard won't cost as much right?
but i'm kinda worried about the GPU issue in this laptop
it happened with this motherboard and i'm pretty sure it would happen with a new motherboard sooner or later

i dunno |:

vrumor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Have no idea how much the motherboard would be, and if you are trying to game on something like this, turn settings way down, make sure there is plenty of ventilation, in other words dont use it on a pillow or a bed or anything that can impede air movement through the laptop. Use it on a flat, hard surface. I havent checked the specs on that laptop, but im assuming it wasnt made for gaming. Just looked it up. Its almost 10 years old, replace it. Unless you just want to use as a general purpose PC, save up some cash and buy a proper PC.

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

yeah right
and i do have a proper PC
a custom build gaming PC and i do have a DV6 6135dx laptop but i can't really use it in the meantime cause it has a broken screen (bought it for 50 bucks with a broken screen)

61 bucks for a screen for the DV6 6135dx:

http://www.screencountry.com/index.php?section=products&model=PAVILION%20DV6-6135DX&brand=HP-Compaq

Cheaper and easier than messing with that 10 year old laptop.

Solution

Maurice97

Estimable
May 24, 2015

Cool!
thanks man!!

You're welcome. :D

True about the reflections. But the picture will look sharper and the colors will probably be more vivid on a glossy display.
Fingerprints? Why are you putting your grubby fingers on a non-touchscreen in the first place, LOL? :D