Hacked Nintendo DS Controls DSLR Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Good, 'cause it's free advertising, even if it is hacked stuff. Maybe they'll take a hint and make their SDK more open.

Geez, if portables would make truly open SDKs and development platforms, they would go really, really far.

G

Who cares how Nintendo feels? It is a fair use adaption of intellectual property, Nintendo has no say in the matter.

That's like saying Smuckers, the current patent holder for the peanut butter and jelly sandwich, can sue me when I made a pb&j with fried bananas.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
This is rather interesting to see; I'll admit that before I read the website, I thought that perhaps the process of using it would be more complicated than worth the effort for all but a handful of professionals, though I see that it looks simpler than I'd thought.

[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]It is amazing what kind of McGyver stuff film studios can pull off but I wonder how Nintendo feels about all this?[/citation]
Doesn't really matter what Nintendo thinks; if they know better, they'll milk this for publicity. If they don't, they'll either keep quiet about it, or make an empty claim.

Due to the First-Sale doctrine, as the DS is a physical product protected by patent law, a purchaser may dispose of the device in any means they see fit. Of course, it CAN void their warranty, but aside from that, Nintendo cannot actually tell anyone what they physically are and aren't allowed to do with their DS.

The only thing HDR Labs can't do here is actually SELL these items, since THAT would violate Nintendo's patent. However, they may freely give out instructions for modifying them. (much like, say, people giving out plans for converting hybrid cars to plug-in hybrids)

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]IP dude dude[/nom]It is a fair use adaption of intellectual property,[/citation]
Actually, "fair use" only applies to use of copyrighted works; in the case of patented inventions, an owner of a device, as I mentioned above, may with it as they like. The Fair Use Doctrine has been recognized consistently by the US Supreme Court for over 100 years now.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I think this might be a new record for Kevin. Longest lapse between breakthrough and news article? I first heard about this at least 1.5 years ago, and the project started in '07-ish.

Well yeah, I guess there was that one about the revolutionary low-priced 3-D scanner that didn't actually scan in 3-D at all, just take turntable photos for a 360˚view of a product, as had been available for… well, ever really.

A new silver medal, then, to the existing gold medal holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.