Hackers Steal Data From T-Mobile, Trying to Sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
these kinds of things makes me wonder why laws aren't enacted to punish these incompetent service providers and their lack of will or just plain ineptitude. these kind of security breaches should not be occurring. it is true that it is impossible to completely keep a system secure but they should be able to minimize the depth and time these 'hackers' have to run wild in their systems. i find it hard to believe that they do not have teams specifically assigned to monitor and track intrusions in their systems.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, like any of t-mobile's competitors would even consider such an act, if any of them did they would be in a serious world of legal hurt, like a giant 'sue me' sign on their foreheads

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]these kinds of things makes me wonder why laws aren't enacted to punish these incompetent service providers and their lack of will or just plain ineptitude. these kind of security breaches should not be occurring. it is true that it is impossible to completely keep a system secure but they should be able to minimize the depth and time these 'hackers' have to run wild in their systems. i find it hard to believe that they do not have teams specifically assigned to monitor and track intrusions in their systems.[/citation]

Did you not read the part where T-Mobile said there was no security breach? Reading comprehension FTW...

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chripuck[/nom]Did you not read the part where T-Mobile said there was no security breach? Reading comprehension FTW...[/citation]

that was posted after i commented, hater. and i wouldn't trust wot they're saying after the fact. they can make their reports say wotever they wish them to say. if it can be proven the data is authentic then t-mobile's excuses mean very little. next!

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]chripuck[/nom]Did you not read the part where T-Mobile said there was no security breach? Reading comprehension FTW...[/citation]
If you are competent enough to get in, through the firewall, and were able to copy the databases etc. over, then you should be competent enough to clear up your traces as well. Even in the dawn of computer networks & hacking, hackers were clearing their traces as soon as they're finished with what they are doing. So, "security isn't breached" means just "we don't have any logs stating that someone entered our network".
So, not having logs, does it really mean that nobody entered, or, someone entered and then cleared up all the logs regarding her when she's finished?

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I don't know. Something just feels wrong here. This is about the fourth story I have read or heard about in the last 6 months that follows the same pattern. Hackers steal confidential, either/or customer and company, information then publicly claim they have it and try and get money for it. Not saying it is not possible and not saying it isn't even true; just seems a lot of this going around to make me think that the maybe it is not all hackers. Perhaps it is some sort of new Nigeria scam. Just a thought.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]I don't know. Something just feels wrong here. This is about the fourth story I have read or heard about in the last 6 months that follows the same pattern. Hackers steal confidential, either/or customer and company, information then publicly claim they have it and try and get money for it. Not saying it is not possible and not saying it isn't even true; just seems a lot of this going around to make me think that the maybe it is not all hackers. Perhaps it is some sort of new Nigeria scam. Just a thought.[/citation]

Exactly....What if the T-mobile Administrators SUCK AT THEIR JOB!!!!

they can tell their bosses..."Nah...nobody hacked us" just so that they can keep their jobs....heck...what if they were too stupid to know what happened.....or are not competent enough to see an attack that is right in front of their face.

You would have to BE a hacker in order to spot a hack.....no experience in this field= unable to detect problem.....It's like going into a pitch black closet trying to find something....Not going to happen.....

So their is a 50/50 chance that the T-mobile network admins either know what to look for or not

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't understand how they got this info without hacking. Its either an inside job, or the hackers did hack un-noticed in the network (i.e. they obtained usernames and passwords somehow).

G

From the way the article made it sound, it's more than likely that it was an inside job, rather than "hackers". Some irate employee probably made a copy of some files and tried to make a buck by selling them.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
bs they hacked their crap security system, and now they say they got the data in another way so ppl dont think T-mobile securty is breached.

IT IS !!!

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Guess I DON'T need a mobile makeover after all, even from Catherine Zeta-Jones.[/citation]

tanks... i needed a laugh... ;)

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Whether they got the data by hacking, walking out of the building with boxes of backup tapes, or using a Jedi mind trick doesn't matter. It's still a security issue which the company is responsible for. To announce that it wasn't done through hacking doesn't change anything.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
T-Mobile should hire a 3rd party to investigate if they have been hacked or not.
I figure if the network is insecure and got hacked.. .someone should be unemployeed.

G

Haha pwnmobile, I like that name.

The real point being is you can't always stop a good hacker no matter how good you are at security, you can only detect them so they don't get away with it.

Imagine that the T-mobile admins are awesome, they detected the intrusion and brought it to the executive staff. Do you really think they will admit it? They would if the punishment for non-disclosure was worse than the theft. This is why there needs to be a harsh law.

Status
Not open for further replies.