Hamill, Fisher, Ford Will Be in Episode VII, Says Lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
The return of the Jedi. With grandma Leia and granpa Solo too! My fingers are crossed for Disney in bringing back a new hope to an empire that can strike back.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I would like to see them weld some of the Expanded Universe stuff in and allow Boba Fett to have survived the Sarlacc, a cameo from Liam Neeson to explain the whole "Force Ghost" thing and not just the BS reason given at the end of Ep3 by Yoda, also the Solo kids Anakin, Jaina and Jacen, so we can have a new generation of teen-brat Jedi/Sith
After that you can pretty much put in whatever you want, now shut up and take my money!!!

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
i dunno how they will get carrie fisher on set and reading lines. shes completely lost the plot.
i saw her a few weeks back on craig fergisons late late show and she was off her rocker. either heavily medicated or not taking the rite meds.

padwars

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
A few decades after end of episode 6, empire is long dead, the Force has triumphed and darkside has turned upon itself. What is going to really happen anyway? A few old timer heroes sitting around a table recounting the good old days? Looks like a lot of discontinuity to me.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Sounds to me like they are trying to milk that cow for all its worth.....
Lets see here:
Lets release 3 movies of "the best part of a series" and see how it goes, if it sucks, bury the whole thing and move on, but if not, we'll see...
Years, later "here's the beginning of the story that most people didn't know about, featuring crappy cgi and goofy toons on the side"....
Even later, "hey, income is down, lets re-release in "higher video format quality" collections, and see how many people we can sucker"....
And now, even later: "Hey I know! Lets release even more of the story that "people didn't" know about and call it "another part of the trilogy!" They won't know the difference, they didn't when we "started from the beginning"!"
That way we can release even more "collections"!
lolololololololol!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hope we get some great new movies.

Only thing Disney needs to fix in the "updated" New Hope is to fix Greedo shoots first scene. Episodes 1~3 are a lost cause.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Personally, I think Disney did a good job with the Marvel Universe. If they can do an equally good job with Star Wars, I think they will make back that $4 Billion quite easily. Admittedly, I am a huge fan and my glasses are very rosy.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]padwars[/nom]A few decades after end of episode 6, empire is long dead, the Force has triumphed and darkside has turned upon itself. What is going to really happen anyway? A few old timer heroes sitting around a table recounting the good old days? Looks like a lot of discontinuity to me.[/citation]
The whole 9 part series was writen all at once a 'long time ago' and everything follows the standard plot theme of a 'standard' american movie:
Trilogy 1: You see the 'normal world', you are introduced to the storytellers (droids), the knowledge keepers or elders (Jedi), The protagonist (in this case the skywalker bloodline), the antagonists (Sith), and all of the major power factions. The normal world is introduced to conflict, and everything falls apart.
Trilogy 2: Picking up where the first trilogy leaves off you follow the 2nd gen of protagonists and antagonists, and watch the good guy underdogs win the day.
Trilogy 3: It is all about cleanup. There will be political throws and power plays within the new republic. The Jedi order (which remember is supposed to be neutral, not good or bad) needs to be rebuilt as literally every Jedi was slaughtered some 20-40 years previous this story. And there will also be new power struggles between the new republic and various groups that have risen to power in the power vacume left by the Empire falling. This will include some Imperial generals with loyal fleets, drug cartels, as well as the Hutt smugglers.

Plenty of story to be told there, the problem is that it is a story that has a lot of heads moving in different directions with no overtly central theme for all of the allies to get around. I think that is why Disney is thinking about doing the main 3 movies which round out the last 1/3 of plot, and then supplementing with a bunch of individual stories that follow specific characters with smaller stories in this more fractured universe. Really, this whole time period would lend itself really well to some sort of MMO to play in rather than a movie series.
These types of 'rebuilding' stories are often cut out of movies simply because they do not make good movies. The best/worse example of this was Lord of the Rings. What made that whole story absolutely amazing is looking at it as a way for the people of that generation to deal with coming home from war. You go out, live through hell, and then come home expecting to be able to just live life. But instead you are greeted to the pillaging of the shire where all of the minor pests have grown to become crooked power brokers because nobody was left to keep them in check, and so already exhausted heroes need to begrudgingly deal with a whole other battle before they can just rest. It made the book great, but it makes for terrible movie story-telling, so it was (sadly but appropriately) cut. I will be rather interested to see how Disney deals with this final ending as it always struck me as a better book ending than one for making a good movie.

namdlo

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I don't like 1-3 any better than the next person but you people just dont' get it do you?

For most of us that grew up actually going to see 4-6 in the theaters we were kids at the time. These movies were never meant for adults - they were kids movies with morals buried inside them. Lucas was trying to keep it that way in 1-3. We all expected it to be like our childhood memories. If you went to see 1 in the theatres the kids were laughing uncontrollably at Jar Jar. Lucas took a lot of heat for this so he downplayed Jar Jar in the future movies. He followed the same pattern in 1-3 as he did in 4-6. Light->Dark->Finale.

Get over it - nothing will ever be as good as you remember it as a kid.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]namdlo[/nom]He followed the same pattern in 1-3 as he did in 4-6. Light->Dark->Finale.Get over it - nothing will ever be as good as you remember it as a kid.[/citation]
If they used the Solo kids in the same format they will be bonny happy young kids with newly developing force powers in Part 7, then Jacen will turn to the darkside in Part 8 probably killing Luke (middle story tragedy), then in Part 9 Jaina will become a full Jedi (just like Luke did in Part 6) and either kill Jacen (Like the Emperor in Part 6) or turn him back to the light side and either dies afterwards (Like Vader in Part 6) or stay alive (whole new storyline)

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I thought Lucas had retired from making large-scale blockbusters. If he's only serving as an advisor then I suppose that isn't the same thing.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
To be honest, except Ford all their careers are pretty much dead, so it's not surprising they would jump at this project at the first opportunity.

But Carrie Fisher is in no condition to perform :-/ plus we don't know yet if they would follow the Expanded Universe or a brand new storyline.

Well, for now i'm positive. They might be able to pull this off :)

JabbaTheSlut

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
This is going to be the one where thay escape for the galactic retirement center, with the help of a nearly bald chubaka, the only hair that remains is in his armpits! Chubaka, wearing only a spedo and his ammo sash/tool belt will arrive in a stripped down millennium falcon frame with one working engine! Once liberated from the space curmudgeon's retirement planet, they will travel the galaxy's many and dangerous junk yards in search of replacment parts for the falcon!
The story will then shift to a major conflict between the galactic Medicare bureaucracy and the prescription drug cartel trade allience of the pharmaceutical planets of pusherman! Light Canes will be raised in anger, and pritty much everyone will sound like Dark Vader, form the oxygen masks these elderly heroes wear!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]namdlo[/nom]I don't like 1-3 any better than the next person but you people just dont' get it do you? For most of us that grew up actually going to see 4-6 in the theaters we were kids at the time. These movies were never meant for adults - they were kids movies with morals buried inside them. ~~ Get over it - nothing will ever be as good as you remember it as a kid.[/citation]

Yes and very much a NO! Yes, these are kid~young adult movies... they are fun, simple. Nothing dark like District 9, Aliens, etc. I admit, the most fun I ever had from Episode 1 was watching it in the theater with my son a year or so ago (who was 7 at that time). I told him recently that all NEW Star Wars movies are coming out. My guess is that Disney will also pump out EP 2~6 quickly in 3D before Episode 7.

But here is where you are WRONG. Lucas, a great visionary - is not a good director. Yeah, Ep 2 was better than Ep 1 and Ep3 was better than Ep 2. The 1~3 were not well put together, and our main character Anikin was a winy bitch (far more so than Luke). Lucas stringing all these past characters together was stupid (baby Greedo?! really?). The actors to play Anikin were all weak. Really, Lucas should of hired a slightly older boy that can act to play the part - not look it. And of course, the same thing for our "adult" pre-vader guy... "Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" totally sucked the first time, as it does everytime. Even Portman, who is a very good actress - comes across wooden. There is no *spark* between her and Ankiin.

So many stupid plot holes and dumb situations. Yoda concerned about Skywalker's fear. Which was only because his mother is light years away and is a SLAVE. So between the ages of 9~20 (until she finally died)... the very well funded Jedi Order couldn't spare a few coins to buy her freedom? They have statues that are 100ft tall outside their entrance. Easy to resolve. Gee... wonder why Anikin never could control his emotions.

Now a way to FIX it in Episode 2... (this is an example of proper reality / stupid shit) was that his mother was freed soon after the events of Episode 1. But she already had a love interest (Owen) and decided to stay on that planet. Hey, for slaves - they had a good amount of freedom.

R2D2 having Jet-packs... ugh.

Lucas did a good job with the movie RED TAILS, he produced it... not directed. The flight scenes were great. Good acting... good story.

Status
Not open for further replies.