Hands-On: New Belkin Conserve Power Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The article is missing the third page on the Conserve AV (the one that turns itself off, which is the one I really wanted to know about). The third page is just a copy of the first page.

I like the timer button one in concept, but its too pricey, and except for the kitchen, all my plugs are low-down on the wall, and generally behind things, so it wouldn't get much use even if I could figure out when I would need to use it.

I like the charging station with built-in USB ports, but the design does look bad. And no non-slip surface, how could they leave that out?

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Who cares about saving electricity? Electric service is so cheap in most developed countries it's just silly. That and the parasitic draw of electronic devices is just a few watts, which equals mere pennies over the course of a year. Yes, lets all go out and spend $29,95 on a fancy power strip to save $0.37 cents in electricity. Too many enviro-nazi's out there, and not enough common sense.

G

No you simply do not be an idiot and unplug all cables from the wall that you are not using. Or buy a cheapo power strip that you can switch off if you are not using those devices.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For $30, that Belkin AV strip is comparable to other high-end surge protectors. The fact that it will turn off all your peripherals at the same time is really cool too. However, I wouldn't plug in my DVR, how is it going to record my shows when its got no power?

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Who cares about saving electricity? Electric service is so cheap in most developed countries it's just silly. That and the parasitic draw of electronic devices is just a few watts, which equals mere pennies over the course of a year. Yes, lets all go out and spend $29,95 on a fancy power strip to save $0.37 cents in electricity. Too many enviro-nazi's out there, and not enough common sense.[/citation]

You obviously missed the first page of the article talking about how with vigilant use, these strips will pay for themselves within a year (even at cheap North American electricity prices).

[citation][nom]iconslim[/nom]No you simply do not be an idiot and unplug all cables from the wall that you are not using. Or buy a cheapo power strip that you can switch off if you are not using those devices.[/citation]

Clearly, this product isn't intended for you. The most practical device (the Belkin AV) is obviously intended for households with children. I can imagine a child rarely remembers to turn off the XBox when they turn off the TV. Imagine if the powerstrip could detect the TV is off, and turn off the XBox too (along with the amp and surround speakers and the lamp next to the TV)? Its not just about leakage into a "soft-off" device, its also about turning off a device that might otherwise be left on when it shouldn't be. For $30, its not a bad investment compared to a regular, high-quality surge protector.

The timer-button and the old ones with the remove might not buy you that much, you still have to remember to use them. The Conserve AV, on the other hand, works without any user interaction, and that will benefit the less diligent user greatly.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Not quite topic related, but I would love to have a Kill-A-Watt equivalent for 220v. Smart meters are light-years away down here...

G

"I had my doubts about the Conserve Socket, but the Smart AV totally belongs with home theaters, especially knowing what 24x7 power pigs DVR set-tops can be."

What is the point of having a DVR if it's turned off when the TV is turned off? This was kind of a dumb statement...

G

By Anonymous: "What is the point of having a DVR if it's turned off when the TV is turned off? This was kind of a dumb statement..."

What I understood from his statement was that you could have the DVR plugged into the constant power outlets and have the other devices in the auto on/off outlets. So while your DVR would remain powered, your other devices could be off and would perhaps offset the power consumption of the pig of a DVR

Status
Not open for further replies.