Hard Drive unrecognized after disconnecting while on

Italian Plumber

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
I need some help figuring out how to fix a hard drive. i accidentally disconnected the HDD while it was on and now the computer does not recognize it. I already tried resetting the CMOS and doing the "Battery Trick" (which resets the CMOS). none of the components of the drive are physically damaged, but no matter what i try the disk isn't recognized in the BIOS. The disks don't even spin up. i think my only option is to do an expensive PCB replacement because that drive housed my OS. any suggestions are helpful

Also if there is recovery tools that need another computer i have one to do that.
Also can i repair a hard drive without losing data from a windows install/recovery disk?

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Italian Plumber,

Unfortunately, it seems that the drive is dead. As it is not powering up and not recognized by BIOS, you will not be able to access the drive with software tools.
One thing you can try is to attach it with different cables(both SATA and power ones to a different SATA port.
If the issue persists and the data stored on it is really important, I guess you will need to contact a data recovery company. If the drive is under warranty, I guess you can contact their Support and eventually RMA it.
The thing is, you can't really know what is wrong with the HDD.

Let me know in case you have some more questions,
D_Know_WD

Italian Plumber

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Hi, only question. what are the chanses that it is simply a PCB problem, the hard drive is a SeaGate on the barracuda architecture which is, most times fixed by a proper PCB swap where the ROM data is transferred. The drive was showing no signs of physical failure and i think the sudden drive failure is due to maybe shorting the PCB. Do you know of any drives that just died from being removed while on?

Thanks.

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Well, it could be. I can't tell you for sure. Keep in mind that the drive may not work even after changing the PCB and you do this on your own risk. I believe it will not hurt to contact the manufacturers Support as well. They may be able to provide some useful info.
Also, some components inside the HDD could be fried as well.

Not really, I haven't come across a similar case.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Italian Plumber

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

Italian Plumber

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016

can such a thing like unplugging it fry it at all? Also if any component gets fried will you be able to smell it, because im assuming frying things in general is just the solder overheating and burning up (which said solder would no longer connect various circuits thus rendering the equipment useless) - Correct me if i'm wrong

Thanks -
Italian